Police nab syndicate members for conning health firms out of Rp 58 billion

first_imgInterpol Italy had tipped Interpol Indonesia off about the crime, he said. The information was later passed on to Bareskrim.According to a preliminary police investigation, a Nigerian-Indonesian crime syndicate had used the so-called “business email compromise” method to con the firms out of the funds.A total of 3.67 million euro ($4.34 million) was sent to the Indonesian account in three separate bank transfers, Listyo said.Read also: American wanted by FBI arrested in Indonesia for suspected child sex crimes The National Police’s Criminal Investigation Department (Bareskrim) has arrested three members of an international crime syndicate for the alleged theft of Rp 58 billion (US$3.93 million) intended for the purchase of medical equipment, including ventilators for COVID-19 patients.Bareskrim head Comr. Gen. Listyo Sigit Prabowo told the press on Monday that the syndicate had stolen money transferred under a contract of sale between two foreign healthcare technology firms: Althea Group from Italy and Shenzhen Mindray Bio-Medical Electronics from China.“An individual who was posing as a general manager of the Italian firm said there had been a change in bank accounts […], which resulted in the money being redirected to an Indonesian bank account,” Listyo said. The police have arrested three suspects and have seized a portion of the recovered money as evidence.“Thanks to the cooperation between Interpol Italy, Interpol Indonesia, Bareskrim and colleagues from the PPATK [Financial Transaction Reports and Analysis Center], we have managed to arrest three of the perpetrators in Jakarta, Padang [West Sumatra] and Bogor [West Java],” Listyo said.“We have seized the funds stored in a sharia bank account, totaling Rp 56 billion.”He added that the police were pursuing a fourth suspect, a foreign citizen identified as DM, who remained at large.The police have also retrieved two cars, a private plot of land and a number of company documents.The suspects were charged under Article 378 of the Criminal Code, Article 85 of Law No. 3/2011 on bank transfers and Article 10 of Law No. 8/2010 on money laundering.Topics :last_img read more

Dak Prescott contract: Deadline passes but clock still moving for Cowboys, franchised QB

first_imgThe Cowboys and Dak Prescott have negotiated for more than a year on a long-term contract. They negotiated right up to Wednesday’s 4 p.m. ET deadline, in fact. They still couldn’t beat the clock.Worse, the clock is still ticking. NFL Network’s Jane Slater reported Wednesday that there was an offer that Prescott was interested in pursuing, but there wasn’t enough time to wrap it up.I’m told #Cowboys QB Dak Prescott was involved at the last minute in an effort to get a long term deal done but it was up against the 3pm CST deadline per source informed. The deal was between 33-35M annually with a 110 guaranteed. #Cowboys #Dak— Jane Slater (@SlaterNFL) July 15, 2020The deal included a 50M signing bonus and 70M over the first two years. I’m told Dak Prescott wanted to get this deal done but it was just too late per source informed. #Cowboys https://t.co/3h16v7kcIq— Jane Slater (@SlaterNFL) July 15, 2020Dak Prescott declined to clarify but disputes some of the details reported here. Tells me while he did talk to Stephen Jones & try to get a deal done he’s grateful and blessed to be a Cowboy and working & moving forward to do whatever he can to help the team win a Super Bowl. https://t.co/GbNuhiLZhK— Jane Slater (@SlaterNFL) July 15, 2020The Dallas Morning News reported (subscription required) that the length of the contract remains a sticking point: The Cowboys want to sign Prescott to a five-year deal but Prescott, 26, wants a four-year deal. And still no middle ground could be reached even though this has been a core issue for a long time.MORE: NASCAR driver/Eagles fan offer scouting report on DakA few questions need to be asked after reading the tweets and reports:— Did Team Prescott (the QB and his agent, Todd France) and/or the Cowboys (Jerry and Stephen Jones) misplay this game of chicken, each waiting too long for the other side to give in? Or did they proceed in a manner they wanted, to ensure that a deal could not be made in time? — Will the offer that Prescott reportedly liked be available in a few months? Will the Cowboys pass on Prescott if the QB market (Deshaun Watson, Lamar Jackson) goes too high?Some clues, perhaps, from the post-deadline numbers: Prescott is scheduled to make $31.4 million this season under his exclusive franchise-tag tender, and if the Cowboys want to bring him back for 2021, they could tag him again at $37 million (a mandated 20 percent raise under tag rules). The reported late offer was for about that much. How far beyond those dollars and years, then, is Dallas really willing to go?Some of these questions may be answered when/if the sides address the impasse. Some may not be answered until the sides resume negotiations — which will be up against a new time limit.last_img read more