Leading journalists and activists arrested at protest, mistreated

first_img Follow the news on Azerbaijan News RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan Organisation News Russian peacekeepers deny foreign reporters access to Nagorno-Karabakh “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says Reporters Without Borders is outraged by the arrest of many leading journalists and netizens during a demonstration in Baku on 26 January, and the mistreatment to which they were subjected before being released.“There seems to be no limit to the Aliyev regime’s contempt for fundamental freedoms,” Reporters Without Borders Christophe Deloire said. “The brutal treatment of leading figures in the fight for human rights and freedom of information was unacceptable and was clearly an act of personal revenge designed to teach a lesson. The authorities are trying to suppress and deter criticism by silencing those who often condemn the woeful human rights situation.“Coming just days after the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe rejected a resolution on Azerbaijan’s political prisoners, this new blow to the country’s civil society shows that the authorities think they can act with complete impunity.“The international community must urgently come to its senses and make the Azerbaijani government understand that such behaviour is incompatible with its membership of the Council of Europe and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, and its association with the European Union.”Around 100 demonstrators were detained when the security forces dispersed the 26 January demonstration in Baku, which had been called to protest against the violent crackdown on a riot a few days earlier in Ismailly, 200 km west of the capital.As well as members of such opposition groups as the Popular Front, Musavat and NIDA, those detained included well-known journalists such as Khadija Ismayilova and Shahveled Chobanoglu, leading bloggers such as Emin Milli, Zaur Gurbanli and Bakhtiyar Hajiyev, and two journalists and human rights activists from the isolated region of Nakhchivan, Malahat Nasibova and Ilgar Nasibov. Mursel Aliyev, the head of the Telebe.az news website, and Zaur Rasulzadeh, a reporter for the 1News.az news portal, were also arrested.Wearing press vests or showing press cards did not spare other journalists, who were there to cover the event, from being the victims of violence by plain-clothes policemen.The police continued to act with brutality after the protest was dispersed, discharging tear-gas inside a truck that was taking about 30 detainees, including Nasibova and Nasibov, to a police station. Because the windows were closed, many people felt ill, including the driver, who caused an accident.An ambulance had to be summoned to police station No. 37 in the district of Khatai, where detainees were held for four hours. Other demonstrators were taken to police stations in the districts of Nasimi and Sabail.Most were released with a verbal warning. But some of the best-known detainees were punished under a new law on illegal demonstrations that is based on Russian legislation. Milli was sentenced to 15 days in prison, along with three opposition activists. Hajiyev was fined 600 manats (570 euros) while Ismayilova was fined 400 manats (380 euros).While the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe was in session last week in Strasbourg, a number of journalists and activists attended it to draw attention to the violation of civil liberties in Azerbaijan. The session ended on 23 January with the adoption of a resolution on the human rights situation in Azerbaijan but the assembly rejected a specific resolution on Azerbaijan’s political prisoners.Join the group “Support Azerbaijani Activists in Administrative Detention” on Facebook!(Picture: AFP / Tofik Babayev) to go further June 8, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information center_img Receive email alerts RSF_en AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia January 29, 2013 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Leading journalists and activists arrested at protest, mistreated AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia June 4, 2021 Find out more News April 9, 2021 Find out more Newslast_img read more

Elderly woman killed by her dog

first_imgFlorida officials say an elderly woman was mauled to death by her own dog while another man was hospitalized with serious injuries.According to the South Florida Sun Sentinel, Carolyn Varanese, 84, was attacked by her dog and was pronounced dead at the scene. Another man, Joseph Varanese, 57, was also attacked and taken to Northwest Medical Center in Margate, Florida.Police did not reveal what caused the dog to attack, or what breed the dog was.The dog is now in the custody of the Broward County Animal Care and Adoption Center.An investigation on the attack continues.last_img read more

Neotel to launch second data centre

first_img“Through these services we manage the hosting of a client’s business platforms and application servers whilst leveraging off Neotel’s significant economies of scale,” said Zote, adding that the data centres provide the flexibility of choosing from hosting floor space to racks to platforms. “We have already reached 100% utilisation of the first phase of our data centre in Midrand while the second expansion phase is already 50% subscribed,” Neotel communications head Wandile Zote said in a statement last month. Managed hosting services Neotel’s first data centre was launched in June 2009 at the Neotel premises in Midrand, Johannesburg. “With the opening of a second Data Centre in Cape Town, businesses in Cape Town now have the opportunity to make use of our facilities while unlocking the opportunity for businesses to host both their production and business continuity sites.” Fresh new approach 16 August 2010 By hosting at these centres, the company says customers will not only reduce their risk of hikes in operational costs due to potential price increases for energy but more importantly reduce their carbon footprints. The new data centre builds on the company’s strength in providing outsourced hosting services, managed services and hosted applications that have already generated interest from several large enterprises. “We meet clients half way, extending competitive pricing to ensure the service offered is market related and gives fair value – particularly in today’s tough times,” he said. The data centre is home to a number of managed hosting and virtual hosting services, including managed storage and backup, virtual firewall and server virtualisation services. Neotel says its data centres are an example of a fresh new approach in the South African market – they are modular in design, with high energy efficient technologies allowing the highest data centre cooling density. Improved cooling techniques will further limit excess power utilisation. “Our clients recognise Neotel’s professionalism and data centre expertise which focuses strongly on proactive management and maintenance to ensure unmatched uptime and reliability,” said Zote. Following on significant demand for local converged telecoms operator Neotel’s managed hosting services, the company has decided to launch a second Tier 3 data centre in Cape Town. SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

South Africa turns to cinema to build young entrepreneurs

first_imgIt seems impossible until it’s done – this was one of the key messages remembered by schoolchildren who were part of Step Up 2 a Start Up II event.The learners were given a toolkit and were encouraged to combine their theatre learning with their classroom learning. (Image: Primestars Marketing Facebook)Brand South Africa ReporterIt seems impossible until it’s done – this was one of the key messages remembered by schoolchildren who were part of Step Up 2 a Start Up II event, held countrywide on 12 September.Step Up 2 a Start Up II ran over five weeks on Saturdays, from 15 August to 12 September. About 300 learners gathered at specific cinemas each Saturday, where they learned how to start their own businesses. About 15 000 learners across the country were reached.All five sessions ran simultaneously in 15 Ster-Kinekor cinemas across the country, including The Boardwalk in Richards Bay, Gateway Commercial in Umhlanga, North Cape Mall in Kimberly, and Sandton City in Johannesburg. All of the events began at the same time, at 9am.Facilitated by PrimeStars Marketing and endorsed by Proudly South African, the initiative celebrates youth entrepreneurship on the big screen. Step Up 2 a Start Up II is mainly sponsored by the National Youth Development Agency (NYDA), Absa, MTN, Sasol and Putco.Brand South Africa contributed as well under its Play Your Part initiative. Play Your Part is a national campaign that encourages all South Africans to contribute to positive change. Step Up 2 a Start Up II is a perfect example of that because it encourages young people to identify and solve problems in their communities through entrepreneurship.The learners were given a toolkit and were encouraged to combine their theatre learning with their classroom learning. Step Up 2 a Start Up II, said the organisers, also showcased role models and prepared learners for entry into the Maker-preneur of the Year Competition.InspiredSpeaking on Saturday, Contrak Molewa of Bokgoni Technical School in Atteridgeville, Tshwane said that before watching the movie his ideas to start a business were scattered. “I have so many ideas. And I now know which direction I want to go to.”The 17-year-old said the film taught him that it was okay to fail in order to succeed. “The film was inspiring. I found out that Steve Jobs also failed a few times. Another thing I learned was that networking was important.”Moses Mhlwana, a 16-year-old learned from Bokgoni Technical School, said he realised that entrepreneurs must have ideas that would help Africans. People must benefit from your idea. “As an entrepreneur you should think about how you can improve life [of those around you].”Vanessa Sibanda said she did not know that starting a business would be so easy. “I learned [from the film] that we can get ideas from adults around us,” said the 13-year-old, who attends Sunrise Secondary School in Diepsloot, Johannesburg.The competitionIn addition, the Maker-preneur of the Year Competition is open to learners in grades 9 to 12 who have participated in the Step Up 2 a Start Up II cinema programme. Schools attending were chosen by the Department of Basic Education. Other schools wanting to join the programme should contact the NYDA.In the competition, the students need to adhere to the credo: “Design it, make it, sell it.” Competition prizes include bursaries and electronic goods. The competition closes on 30 October. The finalists will be notified between 16 and 20 November.Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa material.last_img read more