Warning issued after protected Bluefin Tuna targeted in Donegal

first_img Previous articleDonegal Senator blasts Government proposals for grandparent grantNext articleDonegal Tourism to embark on American trade mission News Highland Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens further The Sea-Fisheries Protection Authority is reminding recreational and sports fishing operators that it is illegal to target Bluefin Tuna.The warning comes following the catching, towing and landing of the protected Bluefin Tuna in Teelin, Co. Donegal over the weekend.The SFPA say, based on information provided by members of the angling community, a privately owned pleasure boat was met on arrival in Teelin by Sea Fisheries Protection Officers and a file is being prepared for submission to the Director of Public Prosecutions.Statement in Full:The Sea-Fisheries Protection Authority (SFPA), is notifying all operators involved in recreational or sports fishing that seek to target Bluefin tuna that these fish are specifically protected under Irish law due to European conservations measures and it is illegal to catch, land or sell this fish. The SFPA is also reminding recreational fishing businesses that it is illegal to advertise fishing/charter trips targeting Bluefin tuna.The warning follows the catching, towing and landing of a Bluefin Tuna in Teelin, Co. Donegal over the August Bank Holiday weekend. Based on information provided by members of the angling community a privately owned pleasure boat was met on arrival in Teelin by SFPA Sea Fisheries Protection Officers and a file is being prepared for submission to the Director of Public Prosecutions. A number of other similar incidents are currently under investigation.The species, which is under-threat globally due to over-fishing, can typically visit Irish waters during the late summer and autumn. While some EU member states issue permit the fishing of Bluefin tuna in their waters, any Bluefin tuna caught must be accounted for from that Member State’s national quota.  Ireland does not have a quota for Bluefin tuna, thus negating any access to these fish via sport fishing or any reactional fishing activity.Susan Steele, Chair of the SPFA said, “This prohibition on the fishing for Bluefin Tuna applies to commercial fishermen as well as to recreational and sporting fishermen. It is illegal to deliberately target Bluefin tuna and any fisher who happens to catch one must release it to the sea and desist from fishing in that area.” By News Highland – August 8, 2018 Homepage BannerNews Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Google+ Google+center_img Twitter Twitter Pinterest Facebook Warning issued after protected Bluefin Tuna targeted in Donegal Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Pinterest WhatsApp Facebooklast_img read more

Syracuse speeds up play in 2nd half to beat Hartwick

first_imgIt’s not that Syracuse’s forwards didn’t want to shoot, they just couldn’t find the space.If an Orange player was anywhere near striking distance, three Hartwick defenders crowded around him. The crowd begged for a shot, but there was no space for SU to operate in the attacking third. As each hollow opportunity passed, a tactical adjustment became increasingly inevitable.But when head coach Ian McIntyre stood in front of his team after a scoreless first half, a tactical adjustment wasn’t on his mind. Instead, he urged his team to speed up its play and seize the opportunity to entertain the home crowd.“He said we had to impose ourselves, because this is our home field,” said junior midfielder Nick Perea. “We had to play faster because that’s our game.”And that’s exactly what the Orange did.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textOn the heels of a sloppy first half, an increase in energy was what No. 20 Syracuse (2-0-0) needed to edge Hartwick (0-1-1) 2-0 at SU Soccer Stadium on Monday night. In its first home game of the season, the Orange looked slow and, at times, confused in the early going. But once SU found its speedy identity, the Hawks simply couldn’t keep up.“We started slow, we were definitely sluggish,” McIntyre said. “We had a lot of possession, but didn’t create enough quality chances. When we broke their initial line of pressure, we started to look good and get those opportunities.”The Orange’s abundance of first-half possessions was mired by Hartwick’s swarming defense.In the 20th minute, SU slowed down play considerably. Sophomore Stefanos Stamoulacatos, freshman Alex Halis and junior Jordan Murrell played tic-tac-toe on the left side of the field while the Hawks’ defense sat in an impenetrable pyramid.At a distance, the Orange’s quick passing was pleasing to the eye. But when any player attempted to dribble toward the box, the once distinguishable pyramid turned into an amoeba around the ball.“That was because we were playing slower and building through the back,” said junior forward Grant Chong. “They definitely pressured us, which we expected, we just had to break in and I think we did successfully.”It was Chong, in the 50th minute, who took SU out of its slow start and onto the scoreboard. He settled a lob pass from Halis, took two dribbles and unleashed a rocket into the top-right corner.Hartwick goalie Mateo Munarriz made a leaping effort, but it was placed too perfectly. Chong threw his hands into the air and his teammates quickly mobbed him at the top of the Hawks’ box.That was all Syracuse needed to catapult itself into a more comfortable, effective philosophy.“In the second half, it was about keeping the tempo high,” McIntyre said. “Getting that first goal, and then eventually the second, helped us do that.”As the game wore on, SU didn’t possess the ball as methodically as it did in the first half. But the possessions it did have were more purposeful, as evidenced by the game’s decisive goals.Nine minutes after Chong gave the Orange the lead, Perea pushed the lead to 2-0. Once the Orange earned a throw-in in the attacking third, Murrell scanned the field for a target.With most of Hartwick’s players casually walking with their heads down, Perea stepped into open space and Murrell put the ball at his feet. It was the space that wasn’t there in the first half, when the Hawks subjected the Orange to its smothering brand of soccer.Perea’s shot deflected off of a cluster of defenders and found the back of the net.The Orange relished in the few moments when Hartwick’s defense wasn’t set, and a few moments was all it needed.Said Perea: “The second half was the way we should have played all along. We had a slow start, but it all came together when it needed to.” Comments Published on September 3, 2013 at 12:09 am Contact Jesse: [email protected] | @dougherty_jesse Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more