Martha Karolyi sidesteps responsibility in Nassar scandal

first_imgGreen group flags ‘overkill’ use of plastic banderitas in Manila Sto. Niño feast Karolyi led the national team for 15 years before retiring after the 2016 Rio Olympics. She told Savannah Guthrie she did not turn a blind eye to Nassar’s behavior and that the doctor conned her and husband Bela in much the same way he conned the parents and coaches of the athletes who Nassar abused.Nassar spent nearly three decades at USA Gymnastics before being fired in 2015 after complaints about his behavior. He continued to work at Michigan State University through the fall of 2016 before being hit with federal charges. Nassar is now serving up to 175 years in prison for molesting women and girls and possessing child pornography.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSeveral gymnasts and coaches previously interviewed by The Associated Press said the Karolyis institutionalized a win-at-all-costs culture that forced girls to train while injured. The toxic environment allowed Nassar to flourish in part because the athletes were afraid to challenge authority, according to witness statements in Nassar’s criminal case and one of the lawsuits.Karolyi, who led the U.S. to dozens of medals at the Olympics and world championships during her highly successful tenure, has been named as a co-defendant in at least two civil lawsuits that also name USA Gymnastics and Nassar. She said she created a “very serious atmosphere” at the Karolyi Ranch that served as the national team headquarters and where some victims, including two-time Olympic medalist McKayla Maroney, say they were abused. Karolyi said her job was to prepare the athletes to compete at the highest level of the sport but denied being verbally abusive to athletes. Asked if she was emotionally abusive, Karolyi responded “it depends on the person” and later said “maybe that’s how it came across” before adding she didn’t know of another way to coach.Jamie Dantzscher, a member of the 2000 U.S. Olympic team and one of the first women to come forward, told The Associated Press she wasn’t surprised the Karolyis sidestepped responsibility and pointed out the Karolyis allowed Nassar to treat the athletes alone in their rooms without another adult present.“Regardless if they’re denying that they didn’t see it with their own eyes, they still allowed him in our rooms alone,” Dantzscher said. “They knew he was going into the rooms. He never reported the emotional and mental abuse, that’s how he was able to flourish in that element.”ADVERTISEMENT Jo Koy draws ire for cutting through Cebu City traffic with ‘wang-wang’ LATEST STORIES Injured Ross hopes to be ready for San Miguel’s opener vs Meralco FILE – In this June 29, 2012, file photo, Bela, left, and Martha Karolyi talk on the arena floor before the start of the preliminary round of the women’s Olympic gymnastics trials in San Jose, Calif. Former USA Gymnastics women’s national team coordinator Martha Karolyi and her husband Bela tell NBC they were unaware of the abusive behavior by a former national team doctor now serving decades in prison. Martha Karolyi led the national team for 15 years before retiring after the 2016 Rio Olympics. She tells Savannah Guthrie in “no way” did she suspect Larry Nassar was sexually abusing athletes. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull, File)NEW YORK — Former USA Gymnastics national team coordinator Martha Karolyi says she feels for the sexual abuse victims of a former national team doctor serving decades in prison but added she doesn’t feel she should be held responsible for his actions.Karolyi told “Dateline NBC” in an episode that aired Sunday she “feels extremely bad” for the victims of Larry Nassar but downplayed the idea the atmosphere she created at the national team training center allowed Nassar’s behavior to run unchecked.ADVERTISEMENT Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award ‘Stop romanticizing Pinoy resilience’ Truck driver killed in Davao del Sur road accident Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ MOST READ Scientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flames P16.5-M worth of aid provided for Taal Volcano eruption victims — NDRRMC Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

Republic Bank’s Visa debit cards hacked

first_img…millions missing from customers’ accounts…Bank says security measures being implementedCustomers of Republic Bank (Guyana) are reeling as millions of dollars are missing from their accounts. Over the past week, several customers have complained that monies are missing from their accounts and some even took to social media to call the Bank out for the discrepancy.On Wednesday, the Bank finally publicly confirmed that the monies were indeed missing after previously denying knowledge of the reports. Earlier in the week, after several customers reached out to Guyana Times about their missing money, a call to the Bank by this publication was met with denial by one of the managers.One customer related to this newspaper that on Saturday last he visited the Republic Bank Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) at Vreed-en-Hoop, West Coast Demerara to do a transaction, but he received a notice saying there were insufficient funds to honour the requested amount. He said this prompted him to conduct a balance inquiry and to his astonishment his account only had $9000. The customer said that he was left speechless, since he was aware that his account had over $140,000. He said that on Monday, he went to the Bank and made a report and was given a dispute form to fill out. He said that he was advised by the teller that the investigation process for such a claim takes between 60 to 90 days. He said that he was also informed that the matter has to be investigated by the Bank’s Trinidad branch.The customer expressed dissatisfaction with the response by the Bank, adding that when he enquired about reimbursement, he was not given positive feedback.Meanwhile, another customer said that he too was left shocked when he realised that $2 million was missing from his account. He said an inquiry revealed that money was deducted from his account to pay for several online purchases.Another customer said that she went to the ATM and found that $60,000 was missing and went right away to the Bank. She said she too was given a dispute form to fill out. The young lady slammed the Bank for not being honest with its customers about the hacking incident.Additional security measuresOn Wednesday, Republic Bank (Guyana) confirmed that some of its customers have been impacted by recent fraudulent activity on its Visa International Debit cards.The Bank said that additional security measures have been put in place to reduce further impact, and as a result, some customers may experience interruptions in service.In a statement, the Bank said it was taking the necessary steps to regularise all affected accounts using a well-defined, standard process, focused on reducing customer inconvenience. “The Bank regrets the inconvenience to its customers and advises that impacted customers will be asked to confirm and validate their transactions to assist with this process,” it stated.According to the Bank, it was able to quickly identify cases where customers’ cards were compromised and was able to effectively minimise the risk to other customers.The statement highlighted that the Bank would continue to ensure that the most up-to-date security was available through all of its channels for the financial safety of the Banking public.“The Bank also takes this opportunity to remind customers of the need to be vigilant when using their debit cards and monitoring their account activity.”As of recent, several customers have complained of unauthorised deductions and transactions being made utilising their Bank accounts.A section of an account statement from the bank to one of the customerslast_img read more