Chanting “No more kids in cages! Stop the deportations!” and “No ban on stolen land!” protesters marched around the plaza at Rockefeller Center in New York. At one point, they pushed through a police barricade, took the bleachers and hung a banner over the wall which declared: “Close the Detention Centers Now. Open the Borders. Asylum for Refugees.”They were protesting there July 11 because the National Homeland Security Conference, an annual event aimed at creating propaganda to promote the Department of Homeland Security and private security contractors who are responsible for the detention and deportation of millions of immigrants, was holding a dinner inside Rockefeller Center. As conference attendees gathered in the sunken area at the center of the plaza, where the ice rink is in the winter, protesters sent them a loud message.The newly formed group FIRE (Fight for Im/migrants and Refugees Everywhere) called the demonstration. FIRE’s goal is to get rid of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, dismantle concentration camps holding immigrants and tear down any racist border wall that Trump tries to build. Many people passing by showed their support for the protest, which was taking place as children snatched from their parents at the border remain locked up in detention centers, terrified because of the violent separation.— Report and photo by Brenda RyanFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thisFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare this
New procedures for reviewing lawyers’ ads and a tougher enforcement program for violators continue to be worked on by the Disciplinary Procedure Committee.DPC Chair Bob Brush reported to the Bar Board of Governors last month that the committee is working out punishment recommendations for various types of rules infractions.The committee also met with Tallahassee attorney Barry Richard, who advises the Bar on constitutional issues, to discuss the constitutional ramifications of the rule changes.The committee is looking at a two-tiered review system for lawyer ads. Lawyers could pay a higher fee and get a quick response on whether a proposed ad meets Bar rules before using the ad. Or they could pay a lower fee and file the ad no later than concurrently with its first publication or broadcast. But if a violation was found, the lawyer would be subject to discipline.On another issue, Brush said the committee considered and rejected a change to a Bar policy requiring an audit when a Bar member wants to resign in lieu of disbarment when facing charges of trust account violations. The Bar now will accept the resignation only if the lawyer agrees to an audit of his or her trust accounts, provides a financial affidavit, and provides a valid address to the Bar for the next five years.The committee had looked at only requiring the audit when the Client’s Security Fund requested one. But the board members at their February meeting said they were concerned that could lessen protection for the public and might leave undiscovered other misdeeds by the lawyer.Brush said the committee decided not to make any change, although it would likely save some Bar staff time by doing fewer audits.On other matters:• The committee is discussing whether lawyers should be sanctioned for bad behavior or conduct that is unrelated to the practice of law and does not involve a criminal violation of the law. Brush said the Citizens Forum is looking at the matter and will provide the DPC with its input.• The committee is exploring whether associates and partners of board members should be disqualified from representing lawyers being investigated by the Bar’s grievance system or nonlawyers being investigated by the Bar’s Unlicensed Practice of Law Department.• Disqualification rules when a lawyer switches firms are being reviewed by the committee. Brush noted that under current rules, when a nonlawyer staffer, such as a secretary, switches firms, that employee is admonished not to talk about cases where the firms are representing opposing parties. If a lawyer switches between the same firms, his or new firm must be disqualified from the case, Brush said.• The committee has completed revisions to improve the process of appointing an inventory attorney. Brush said that has been sent to the Rules Committee which will bring it to the board at its May meeting. DPC works to improve advertising rule enforcement DPC works to improve advertising rule enforcement May 1, 2002 Regular News
According to Government Regulation No. 21 on PSBB, provinces and cities are required to obtain a permit from the health minister to impose the policy. As of Sunday, no region has yet to obtain such a permit.According to a ministerial regulation issued by the Health Ministry on Friday, regional heads who want to enact a PSBB have to attach an epidemiology study to their requests, as well as data and maps showing the spread of the virus in their respective regions.The request would then be discussed by a team appointed by the health minister, who would approve or deny the request in consultation with COVID-19 fast response team chief Doni Monardo, who also heads the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB). Anies said he had sent a PSBB request to Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto on Wednesday before the ministerial regulation was issued and would wait for an answer instead of sending a new letter.In the letter, he wrote that the virus had spread to 253 of the city’s 267 districts and 86 medical workers had also been infected. He also wrote that while the official death toll in the capital was 85, 401 people had been buried using COVID-19 protocols. The request was being discussed by the Health Ministry’s team on Sunday afternoon.“We already detailed the facts about [COVID-19 in] Jakarta in the letter. We are waiting for an answer [from the minister],” he said. “It’s very strange that we have to [go through so much bureaucracy] during a crisis such as this.”According to the government’s official count, there are 2,092 confirmed COVID-19 cases nationwide as of Saturday, 1,028 of which are in Jakarta. Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan has heavily criticized the Health Ministry’s newly issued guidelines on large-scale social restrictions to curb the spread of COVID-19, saying they showed “no sense of urgency”.“[It’s] as if we are proposing a project that needed a feasibility study,” Anies told The Jakarta Post on Sunday. “Can’t the ministry see that we are facing a rising death toll? Is it not enough?”Earlier this week, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo said that in lieu of a regional or national lockdown, regions could implement large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) in their fight against COVID-19. Such restrictions include the closing down of schools, offices and places of worship, as well as limitations on public transport. Topics :
South Ripley Varsity Softball team defeats Greensburg JV 19-0.SR-19 runs on 18 hits, no errors in the field tonight!Hailey Brown- 3 for 5 w/3B, 3 Runs, 3 RBI; Mady Tompkins- 3 for 3 w/2B, 2 Runs, 2 RBI; Ellie Waldron- 3 for 5, 3 runs, 2 RBI; Emily Campbell- 3 for 4; Halee Smith- 2 for 4 w/2B, 3 RBI, 2 Runs; Alexa Heidt- 2 for 5, 2 Runs, RBI, 3 Stolen Bases.Winning Pitcher-Mady Tompkins- 3 IP, 1 H, 8 K, 0 BB.Ellie Waldron in Relief- 2 IP, 0 H, 4 K, 0 BB.Strong defensive performance by Hayley Gorrell in the field.South Ripley now 2-0 and will host South Decatur on Saturday Morning.Courtesy of Raiders Coach Rob Lafary.
*School Pictures will be on September 3. * Cowley County Community College will be here today at 12:30Â to collect payments and to deliver books. Today’s News:Â * Any student interested in Classic Movie Club can stop by room 205 and talk to Mr. Rose. *Auditions for the All school Musical (Seussical) will be heldÂ on MondayÂ andÂ Tuesday Aug. 25th & 26th. Â Please see Mrs. Kelly to sign up for an audition time.Monday’s lunch:Hamburger/bunRomaine and TomatoSweet Potato WedgesMixed FruitRice Crispy Treats *Just a Reminder: Students playing a fall sport must have their sportsâ€™ Fee paid before the first game.
At least eight students from Renaissance Charter School in Cooper City had to be taken to a hospital after reportedly eating what one of them called “candy,” according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office.Sergeant Donald Prichard says that one of the eight students brought the item onto campus.He adds,“Their conditions were not life-threatening. There was no indication anyone was poisoned.”The parents were notified and the students, who range in age from 10 to 12, were treated and released.It was not immediately known what the “candy” contained, although the Broward Sheriff’s crime lab will make that determination.No criminal charges have been filed, although Prichard adds that the investigation is ongoing.
Anyone that take to the ice at the Nelson Curling Club realizes first hand there’s a lot more to the sport than tossing a rock down a sheet of ice.Which is why the Capital One Rocks and Rings program was launched last year. The program, designed for elementary students, gives prospective curling is a fun introduction to the sport.Under the guidance of our junior instructors and certified coaches Chris Haynes and Alex Breen, the 40-minute session uses a combination of drills, skills and fun to introduce the sport to students in an off-ice environment.Students eager to push the curling envelope a little farther can then sign up for on-ice instruction during their respective school’s their winter activities program or by joining the after school Junior league at the Nelson Curling Club.Leagues at the Nelson Curling Club begin in October.For more information contact [email protected] or visit [email protected]
Donegal TD Charlie McConalogue has expressed his disappointment with Minister for Communication’s refusal to extend the deadline of the Rural Broadband Scheme.Deputy McConalogue said the Minister is completely underestimating the importance of broadband for counties like Donegal.“It is very disappointing that Minister Pat Rabbitte is not willing to extend the deadline for the Rural Broadband Scheme. I believe he is underestimating the importance of broadband services to those living in rural areas. “The Rural Broadband Scheme was poorly advertised and as a result, many people living in rural communities had no idea if they were entitled to apply or when the deadline was.“I outlined these concerns in full to Minister Rabbitte. I suggested that the Minister extend the scheme to facilitate further applications while continuing to process existing applications.“However when I put this solution to the Minister, he refused to make any move to extend the deadline,” he revealed.The Inishowen TD said he was now asking the Minister to outline how the scheme will work in practice and to confirm that there will be a minimum standard of broadband speed for all users of the scheme. “I believe that there will still be several households that remain without access to broadband after the scheme is implemented. In this event, I am asking Minister Rabbitte to clarify what measures he will be put in place to address this problem.“In order to achieve true nationwide broadband, we should have an ongoing broadband scheme that people can continue to apply for. In a digital age, it is important that all households regardless of their location have access to reliable broadband services.”ENDSMCCONALOGUE SLAMS MINISTER’S REFUSAL TO EXTEND RURAL BROADBAND SCHEME was last modified: August 31st, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
16 July 2013South Africa’s Standard Bank was named the best investment bank in Africa by international finance magazine Euromoney at the magazine’s annual Awards for Excellence ceremony in London last week.It was also named best equity house and best risk manager on the continent.“Winning these awards is particularly significant as it is an acknowledgement of our commitment to our clients as they grow in and across Africa,” Standard Bank Corporate and Investment Banking CEO David Munro said in a statement.“We have a unique footprint and physical presence across Africa, global connectivity to serve Africa, unique sector expertise and a talented and experienced team, all of which reinforce our position as the leading financial services organisation on the continent.”It was the 23rd edition of the awards, and Euromoney judges had to choose between over 600 banks and brokerage houses by examining key performance indicators, financial ratios and innovations.“Our presence and experience across sub-Saharan Africa, our specialisation in natural resources, and our ability to connect African markets to each other and to China, Brazil, the Middle East and the developed world’s pools of capital, combined with a strong reputation and product expertise, afford Standard Bank a unique competitive position to build long-term and well co-ordinated client relationships,” Munro said.“The bank has benefited from its expansion in Africa, pushing it ahead of the competition,” said Euromoney editor Clive Horwood.“It has a clear advantage in South Africa, where it is the biggest bank by assets. And it already transacts an extraordinary quantity and quality of deals further north too.“In addition, Standard Bank remains perhaps the most prominent international book- runner on local-currency bonds across Africa,” Horwood said.SAinfo reporter
The festival will also create a platform to support women in small, medium and micro enterprises, development and mentorship. (Image: The Mzansi International Culinary Festival)• Ncami SitholePR ManagerThe Mzansi International Culinary Festival+27 82 293 [email protected]• South African food • Africa’s green revolution ready to grow. Just add investment • The extraordinary real meal revolution of Tim Noakes • As South African as biltong • The simple palate of Nelson MandelaRomaana NaidooA fusion of African and European cuisine will be a feast for the eye and a temptation for the taste bud at the inaugural Mzansi International Culinary Festival, taking place from 7 to 10 August. It has been planned to celebrate the culinary expertise of female chefs from across the globe – Europe, the Americas, Africa and Asia.Festival public relations manager Ncami Sithole says: “The aim is to open dialogue around the lack of women in culinary leadership; create opportunities for young women in the food industry and those who wants to get into the industry; facilitate skills development and transfer; identify an authentic South African cuisine; and acknowledge and celebrate the culinary arts.”It will also provide a platform for women in Africa. “It’s crucial to discuss the role of women in the food industry from farm to fork,” she adds.There will be four food talks daily at the festival. Topics will include food security and sustainability, feeding the nation especially its children, and women in food media. It is expected to “air challenges that women face in the hospitality industry, take these and present them to the minister in the Department of Small Business Development and UN Women, who may assist us with issues of policy and advocacy”.The festival will also create a platform to support women in small, medium and micro enterprises, development and mentorship.In an attempt to promote South African cuisine internationally, the festival began with an exchange programme between Johnson and Wales University in New York and Africa Meets Europe, facilitated by the South African Consulate in New York City.In June, the festival hosted 20 students and held four lecturers, introducing them to the country’s culinary aspects, schools and food in Western Cape and Gauteng. It will be followed by a programme taking 20 aspiring African female chefs and caterers to New York in November to participate in a two-week exchange course facilitated by Johnson and Wales and the Black Chefs Alliance, among others.The line-upTwo distinct events will take place on day one, 7 August: a Culinary Industry Talk will be held at the University of Johannesburg’s School of Tourism and Hospitality; and a competition for female student chefs. The first will be open to industry professionals, lecturers, caterers and those looking to get into the food scene.The second will be a closed event. It will be aimed at creating the best South African-inspired recipe and is scheduled to take place at the Prue Leith School of Food and Wine, in Centurion, Tshwane. Three female students will be selected from Eastern Cape, KwaZulu-Natal, Gauteng, Limpopo, Western Cape, Free State, Northern Cape, Mpumalanga and/or North West to compete.Judges will include Black Chefs Alliance chef Danielle Saunders; chef Kimberly Brock Brown from South Carolina, UN; and chef Darina Allen of Ballymaloe Cooking School, Ireland; as well as three sommeliers hosted by head sommelier Welile Botha. The winner will be announced at a gala dinner on 8 August at the Mayoral Reception Hall in Johannesburg.Day two of the Mzansi International Culinary Festival will be the official start of the festival. Doors will open at 10am and close at 5pm. The event will be held at the Braamfontein Recreational Centre in Johannesburg, and will be followed by the gala dinner. Various food discussions will take place; in one, panellists Allen, Mpume Mqwebu and Ska Mirriam Moteane from Lesotho, and chef Rougui Dia from Paris will talk about food security and sustainability.Other food discussions on the day will be on feeding the nation and its children; training and funding for the food industry; and culinary tourism.These will be followed by the gala dinner. Starting at 6pm, the theme will be “Cooking for Change”. Some of the keynote speakers will include Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, the head of gender equality organisation at UN Women and the former deputy president of South Africa, as well as Elizabeth Thabethe, the deputy minister of small business development.On day three there will be an Edible Art Exhibition by pastry chef Janice Wong. Tasting stations will be set up and a Hot Kitchen session will be hosted by Dia. The last day of the festival will be largely focused on women in business and women in food media.Tickets can be bought via Computicket. Gates at the Braamfontein Recreational Centre will be open from 10am to 5pm.