Extremely proud: Cameron Bancroft relishes Australia recall for Ashes 2019

first_img Reuters LondonJuly 27, 2019UPDATED: July 27, 2019 15:22 IST Cameron Bancroft was named in Australia’s 17-man squad for Ashes 2019 (Reuters Photo)HIGHLIGHTSCameron Bancroft was named in Australia’s 17-man squad for Ashes 2019One of the big lessons that I learnt last year was about being true to yourself: BancroftI’m extremely proud and excited to be selected in this squad again: BancroftAustralian batsman Cameron Bancroft admits there were times during his suspension when he doubted whether he would play international cricket again and he is determined to make the most of his second chance.The opener’s selection in the Ashes squad with David Warner and Steve Smith on Friday brings all three players banned for their parts in the Newlands ball-tampering incident back into the fold for the first time since the scandal in April 2018.Bancroft was the last of the trio to get a recall after serving the shortest ban of nine months but that still gave him plenty of time to ponder his future.”There were definitely times when I was challenged, a lot, but you go through those moments and you learn a lot about what you need to do to keep moving forward,” the 26-year-old said after being named in the squad on Friday.”If you’d asked me 18 months ago if I’d be sitting here now, it would have been the last thing on my mind but it is what it is now.”It probably hasn’t completely sunk in yet. I’m sure sitting by myself tonight I’ll digest it all, but of course I’m extremely proud and excited to be selected in this squad again.”Want to be true to myself: BancroftBancroft was given the lightest punishment by Cricket Australia because he was adjudged to have been led astray by his then captain and vice captain.The Western Australian, who was playing his eighth test when he took the piece of sandpaper onto the field at Newlands, said he was determined to trust his own values in the future.advertisement”One of the big lessons that I learnt last year was about being true to yourself. There is no doubt that I wasn’t as true to myself as I could have been at times,” he added.”You learn from those mistakes that you make and you try and be better moving forward. At the end of the day, what you do and your actions is completely up to you. I made a mistake and I’ll learn from it and move forward and get better.”The rapid recall of the Newlands trio has not gone down well in the British media and Bancroft accepts that he is likely to be booed by the Edgbaston crowd if he gets selected for the first test, which starts on Thursday.”It doesn’t bother me too much,” he said. “It is what it is. People will react how they want to react. Hopefully I can use it if people want to be like that, to give you energy to perform well.”Also Read | Mohammad Amir’s Test retirement at 27 leaves Shoaib Akhtar thoroughly disappointedAlso Read | Ravi Shastri has done well as head coach, says CAC member Anshuman GaekwadAlso See:For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAkshay Ramesh Tags :Follow Cameron BancroftFollow Ashes 2019Follow England VS AustraliaFollow ball tampering Extremely proud: Cameron Bancroft relishes Australia recall for Ashes 2019Ashes 2019: Australia Bancroft has been included in the 17-man squad for Ashes in England. The top-order batsman returns to the squad for the first time since the infamous ball-tampering Test in Cape Town in 2017.advertisementlast_img read more

Jason Roy receives maiden Test callup

first_imgLondon: Swashbuckling opener Jason Roy has been named, for the first time, in England’s 13-member Test squad for the match against Ireland which will be played at Lord’s from July 24. Roy played a star role in England’s World Cup victory, hitting 443 runs in seven innings and was also named in the Team of the Tournament. Ben Stokes and Jos Buttler have been rested for the four-day match while Mark Wood is missing due to a side strain which will see him out of action for four to six weeks. Also Read – Andy Murray to make Grand Slam return at Australian Open Somerset bowling all-rounder Lewis Gregory earns his first call-up to the Test squad after impressing for Somerset and the England Lions over the past few seasons. The 27-year-old has been in fine form this campaign taking 44 wickets at an average of 13.88. Seamer Olly Stone, who made his England’s ODI debut last winter in Sri Lanka, has earned his second call up to the Test squad. Jofra Archer, who is yet to make his England debut in Test cricket, will have a period of rest before being considered for selection during the Ashes Test Series. Also Read – Fast bowler Behrendorff to undergo spinal surgery A 16-man squad for a pre-Ashes training camp this weekend has also been announced. England squad for Ireland Test: Joe Root (c), Moeen Ali, Jimmy Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Lewis Gregory, Jack Leach, Jason Roy, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes England pre-Ashes training camp squad: Moeen Ali, Jimmy Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler, Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Lewis Gregory, Jack Leach, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes, Mark Woodlast_img read more