Reuters LondonJuly 27, 2019UPDATED: July 27, 2019 15:22 IST Cameron Bancroft was named in Australia’s 17-man squad for Ashes 2019 (Reuters Photo)HIGHLIGHTSCameron Bancroft was named in Australia’s 17-man squad for Ashes 2019One of the big lessons that I learnt last year was about being true to yourself: BancroftI’m extremely proud and excited to be selected in this squad again: BancroftAustralian batsman Cameron Bancroft admits there were times during his suspension when he doubted whether he would play international cricket again and he is determined to make the most of his second chance.The opener’s selection in the Ashes squad with David Warner and Steve Smith on Friday brings all three players banned for their parts in the Newlands ball-tampering incident back into the fold for the first time since the scandal in April 2018.Bancroft was the last of the trio to get a recall after serving the shortest ban of nine months but that still gave him plenty of time to ponder his future.”There were definitely times when I was challenged, a lot, but you go through those moments and you learn a lot about what you need to do to keep moving forward,” the 26-year-old said after being named in the squad on Friday.”If you’d asked me 18 months ago if I’d be sitting here now, it would have been the last thing on my mind but it is what it is now.”It probably hasn’t completely sunk in yet. I’m sure sitting by myself tonight I’ll digest it all, but of course I’m extremely proud and excited to be selected in this squad again.”Want to be true to myself: BancroftBancroft was given the lightest punishment by Cricket Australia because he was adjudged to have been led astray by his then captain and vice captain.The Western Australian, who was playing his eighth test when he took the piece of sandpaper onto the field at Newlands, said he was determined to trust his own values in the future.advertisement”One of the big lessons that I learnt last year was about being true to yourself. There is no doubt that I wasn’t as true to myself as I could have been at times,” he added.”You learn from those mistakes that you make and you try and be better moving forward. At the end of the day, what you do and your actions is completely up to you. I made a mistake and I’ll learn from it and move forward and get better.”The rapid recall of the Newlands trio has not gone down well in the British media and Bancroft accepts that he is likely to be booed by the Edgbaston crowd if he gets selected for the first test, which starts on Thursday.”It doesn’t bother me too much,” he said. “It is what it is. People will react how they want to react. Hopefully I can use it if people want to be like that, to give you energy to perform well.”Also Read | Mohammad Amir’s Test retirement at 27 leaves Shoaib Akhtar thoroughly disappointedAlso Read | Ravi Shastri has done well as head coach, says CAC member Anshuman GaekwadAlso See:For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAkshay Ramesh Tags :Follow Cameron BancroftFollow Ashes 2019Follow England VS AustraliaFollow ball tampering Extremely proud: Cameron Bancroft relishes Australia recall for Ashes 2019Ashes 2019: Australia Bancroft has been included in the 17-man squad for Ashes in England. The top-order batsman returns to the squad for the first time since the infamous ball-tampering Test in Cape Town in 2017.advertisement
TSX posts another solid gain and loonie advances as metal prices climb by Alexandra Posadzki, The Canadian Press Posted Feb 4, 2016 8:01 am MDT Last Updated Feb 4, 2016 at 3:00 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email TORONTO – The Toronto stock market and the loonie both rose for a second consecutive session Thursday as metal prices continued to trend higher in the face of a weakening U.S. dollar.The S&P/TSX composite index climbed 181.48 points to 12,774.50, its second triple-digit increase in as many days.The Canadian dollar was also higher for a second day, up 0.14 of a U.S. cent at 72.75 cents US after having soared 1.32 cents Wednesday in its biggest one-day gain in almost four years.In New York, the Dow Jones industrial average rose 79.92 points to 16,416.58, while the broader S&P 500 gained 2.92 points to 1,915.45 and the Nasdaq closed 5.32 points higher at 4,509.56.In commodities, the April gold bullion contract rose $16.20 to US$1,157.50 a troy ounce, while the March copper contract added four cents to US$2.13 a pound.Meanwhile the March oil contract, which enjoyed a big run-up of $2.40 a barrel Wednesday, gave back 56 cents to US$31.72, while March natural gas fell seven cents to US$1.97 per mmBtu.Andrew Pyle, senior adviser and portfolio manager at Scotia Wealth Management, said the markets are beginning to stabilize following a tumultuous start to the year.“Investors are looking at some of the more recent declines as perhaps being overdone in the context of what the fundamentals are, so we’re seeing a little bit more positive sentiment,” said Pyle.Some of the strength in commodity prices in recent days can be attributed to declines in the greenback, said Pyle.Commodities are priced in U.S. dollars, so any weakness in the value of the greenback makes commodities such as metals and oil more affordable to holders of other currencies.“During the last few years, when the U.S. dollar has been very strong, it’s been extremely difficult for commodity prices to do better, even if their fundamentals were OK,” said Pyle.The U.S. dollar has weakened recently against many other major currencies amid indications of a slowdown in the American economy and growing expectations that the U.S. Federal Reserve will decide against further interest rate increases later this year.There was some more bad news on the U.S. economic front Thursday as the U.S. Commerce Department reported factory orders fell 2.9 per cent in December. It was the fourth such contraction in the last five months and closed out a year in which demand for American manufactured goods retreated for the first time in six years.Meanwhile, the Labor Department reported that U.S. productivity fell three per cent in the fourth quarter, the biggest such quarterly decline in nearly two years.—With files from Brian McKennaFollow @alexposadzki on Twitter.