Vilma Santos, Luis Manzano warn public of fake account posing as her Albay to send off disaster response team to Batangas LATEST STORIES Hong Kong marks Christmas Eve with mall clashes and tear gas PLAY LIST 01:07Hong Kong marks Christmas Eve with mall clashes and tear gas01:18SEA Games 2019: Guarte, Abahan complete PH sweep of obstacle course racing00:50Trending Articles01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Kyrgios will face David Ferrer, who won his only match of the day — 6-3, 6-3 over fourth-seeded Dominic Thiem. At age 35, Ferrer is the second-oldest semifinalist in Cincinnati during the Open Era behind Ken Rosewall in 1970.No. 7 Grigor Dimitrov is the top seed left in a men’s field depleted by upsets and injuries — Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and defending champion Marin Cilic missed the tournament because of injuries. Dimitrov needed only 52 minutes to beat Yuichi Sugita 6-2, 6-1.He’ll face John Isner, who beat wild-card Jared Donaldson 7-6 (4), 7-5. Isner won the only break point of the match to go ahead 6-5 in the second set. He closed it out with a 136 mph ace, one of his 25 in the match.“I knew that a lot of the conditions and everything about this tournament, my schedule — a lot of things have worked in my favor this week,” Isner said. “So I hope to keep it going.”In the women’s bracket, Pliskova will face Garbine Mugaruza in the semifinals. The Wimbledon champion survived another tough challenge on Friday, beating Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-2, 5-7, 7-5. The match went 2 hours, 45 minutes — her longest of the tournament.“I think it was one of the best matches of the year,” Muguruza said. “I think we both played very well, especially in the third set. I know I won, but I’m sure she feels like it was a great match as well, because it was a tough battle and very hot out there.”Muguruza’s win came less than 24 hours after she spent 2 hours, 18 minutes on the court and fought off three match points to beat Madison Keys in the round of 16.Muguruza has reached the semifinals of two of the three tournaments she’s entered since winning Wimbledon.“You know, I’m happy with the way I’m playing and the way I’m going through these tough matches because, you know, I’ve got to dig in and somehow win them,” she said.Sloan Stephens also pulled off a two-win day to reach the semifinals. She beat Ekaterina Makarova in three sets, and then ate lunch, took a nap, woke up and knocked off Julia Goerges in straight sets. “No excuses, nothing at all,” Nadal said. “I didn’t play well.”Despite the loss, Nadal will move back to No. 1 in the ATP rankings next week for the first time since 2014, before a series of injuries affected his game.“To be No. 1 after all the things I’ve been going through the last couple years is something unbelievable,” Nadal said. “For me, it’s an amazing achievement.”After the match, Nadal wore a ribbon honoring the victims of the attack in Barcelona that left 13 people dead.“A tragedy,” he said. “The feeling that you’re not safe nowhere — that’s terrible. It’s very sad and I’m very, very sorry about what happened. To all the victims, the families, friends — all my support.”ADVERTISEMENT Ai-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’ MOST READ “The day is just like a blur,” Stephens said. “I’m ready to get dinner and get in bed because I’m so tired.”On Saturday, she’ll face No. 2 Simona Halep, who beat Johanna Konta 6-4, 7-6 (1).“I played the best match so far this tournament,” said Halep, who was slowed by a knee injury earlier this season. “I could hit the ball. I could move well. So I feel the rhythm. It’s back. So I’m positive again.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Oh baby! Jeter welcomes birth of daughter After a quick turnaround, she needed only 67 minutes to beat a rested Caroline Wozniacki 6-2, 6-4 for a sweep into the semis.“The first match helped me a little bit to have some rallies already today,” Pliskova said. “Physically it was not that tough, so I was warmed up enough.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’Nadal got only halfway there.He spent an hour and 37 minutes on court in the afternoon while beating fellow Spaniard Albert Ramos-Vinolas in a match carried over from the previous night. Five hours later, he was back on court against Nick Kyrgios, who had won a three-set match earlier in the day.Nadal was sloppy at the outset and on the defensive for much of a 6-2, 7-5 loss that lasted an hour and 20 minutes. 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend 2 nabbed in Bicol drug stings Karolina Pliskova, of the Czech Republic, reacts during a match against Caroline Wozniacki, of Denmark, at the Western & Southern Open tennis tournament, Friday, Aug. 18, 2017, in Mason, Ohio. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)MASON, Ohio — Defending champion Karolina Pliskova pulled off a doubleheader sweep Friday at the Western & Southern Open, reaching the semifinals by winning a pair of matches with little rest in-between.Rafael Nadal couldn’t do the same.Pliskova completed a match that was suspended overnight because of rain, beating qualifier Camila Giorgi in three sets.ADVERTISEMENT Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ Teen gunned down in Masbate
Nineteen months after the historic return of Local Government Elections in Guyana, the non-functionality of the constitutional organ, the Local Government Commission (LGC), ended as eight members of the body were appointed in October 2017. But accusations of Government interference via Communities Minister Ronald Bulkan are still being recorded. Nevertheless, Minister Bulkan has contended otherwise, indicating that last week’s swearing in of Mayors and Deputy Mayors was testament to his Government’s commitment to local democratic organs. He was at the time responding to the media on concerns that he was overtaking the role of the LGC even after the body was duly constituted.Communities Minister Ronald Bulkan“There is little or no evidence to suggest that this Administration is not committed to ensuring that the democratic governance obtains and that there is respect for organs created by the Constitution. I have no power to usurp the authority of the Local Government Commission, it’s created by an Act of Parliament and I am committed and I am discharging respect for the Local Government Commission to allow for the discharge of their duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Constitution,” the Minister observed.Local Government CommissionerClinton CollymoreHowever, a different story was painted by People’s Progressive Party (PPP) LGC members who just a few weeks ago by their explanations indicated that there was political grandstanding on the part of the Minister, in that the body is being treated as just a front, while Central Government essentially runs the show. The Local Government Commission is the body that has oversight of the local government system, especially the Neighbourhood Democratic Councils (NDCs) and municipalities, such as Georgetown and Mabaruma. However, PPP Commissioners have highlighted that in spite of the LGC’s enactment budgetary allocations, the Communities Minister “continues to hold on” to vital areas of authority that fall under the Commission. LGC Commissioner Clinton Collymore told the press earlier this month that access to finance and space was a problem they were encountering.“We have a difficulty accessing funds, a difficulty accessing space and accommodation and a difficulty with how the Commission responds to public matters,” Collymore had disclosed, saying the Eping Avenue building does not cater for all the members of the Commission.Minister Bulkan however said last Wednesday that to the best of his knowledge, all of the sums that have been requested was disbursed or at the final stages of being disbursed.“Allocations have been made to the Local Government Commission in the sum of $20 million in 2017 representing recurrent expenditure and the sum $110 million in 2018 – $20 million representing capital expenditure and $90 million as recurrent expenditure,” he explained.“If [the] allocation proves to be insufficient, with justification, I’m sure that the Minister of Finance will allow for supplementary provision to be made later in the year,” he noted.Former Local Government Minister Norman Whittaker had however noted that the current Government has been written to about the situation on numerous occasions but to no avail.As the fallout over the LGC continues, elected PPP Opposition officials are highlighting, through the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) that Government appointed Regional Executive Officers (REOs) of operating contrary to finance laws in Regional Democratic Councils. However Minister of State Joseph Harmon said last week the “little aberrations” being reported at PAC did not begin in 2015, noting that Government has been training REOs.
Roman Abramovich will pay out £10m to Chelsea’s players if they win the Champions League, according to The Sun.It is claimed that each of the Blues’ 25-man squad will receive around £350,000 should they go all the way to glory at the Munich final on 19 May – and that adds up to £8.75m.It is suggested that interim boss Roberto Di Matteo could receive £500,000 for turning around the club’s season and that other members of the coaching staff may be rewarded too.The Sun also report that ex-Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has been texting some of his former players in the build-up to their game against Barcelona.Mourinho, whose Real Madrid side face Bayern Munich in the other semi-final, apparently contacted Petr Cech, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole and Didier Drogba.He is said to have texted: “You can do it and so can we. See you in Munich.”There is continued speculation over whether Anton Ferdinand and his QPR team-mates will shake Chelsea skipper John Terry’s hand before Sunday’s derby.The Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph both say talks between the clubs are set to take place and that Ferdinand is seeking legal advice over whether his decision could prejudice Terry’s forthcoming court case.Meanwhile, the Daily Star claim Ipswich midfielder Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, who has already been linked with Fulham, is also wanted by QPR. Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
One Anna Hazare’s fight against corruption seems to have made the government uncomfortable. But it would perhaps take a hazar Annas to get rid of the malaise that has taken deep roots in Indian sport over the decades.With less a year to go for the Olympic Games, the time is ideal to launch a revolutionary nationwide movement with full gusto to eradicate the ills afflicting sport and pick men and women of integrity as administrators to inject a heavy dose of transparency and accountability.The disgraced chief of the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee Suresh Kalmadi has become the undisputed icon of the rot in Indian sport. But the sporting woes in the country go much beyond Kalmadi and his partners in crime. A few recent incidents show how selfish and careless those who control sport are. While the policies are generally muddled and archaic, the mindset of officials’ is narrow, and their actions petty.And there’s no place for accountability and transparency as they know they can get away with murder.National football coach Armando Colaco is a classic example. He ordered the team not to play the friendly game against Barbados in the Caribbean last week just because they happened to face some yet to-be-explained logistical problems on their way to the island nation. He reasoned that the players were too tired to play after the long flight and would have risked injury if made to play. Have you heard of a more bizarre reason for skipping a game? Can you visualise coach Duncan Fletcher telling the Indian cricketers, who playadvertisementmore often and spend more time on the field than their football counterparts, to skip a Test match citing fatigue? Surely, there is more to the Colaco episode than meets the eye. Will the All India Football Federation (AIFF) show the guts and ask him to explain why he took the drastic step and make the findings (and the punishment, if any) public? More importantly, why did the AIFF let such a charade take place? And here we are not talking about the money that was wasted. A shame, really.The fitness of Zaheer Khan, who apparently carried ankle and hamstring injuries into the Test series against England, is another big issue. Not surprisingly he broke down on the very first day of the first Test. Will the BCCI identify and punish person who deemed him fit? No chance.The national cycling federation is another joke. There are parallel national bodies in place and both, unashamedly, claim that they are the authentic ones.Bizarrely, when the president one of body (Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa) realised that he could no more carry on after crossing 70 years of age, the upper limit for sport administrators, his son coolly replaced him at the helm.Will someone step forward and stop this sham? Parallel federations are also running – and ruining – hockey.The mess is perhaps dirtier and deeper than, maybe, all other national sports bodies put together. Even appeals by legendary players to the prime minister sometime ago to intervene failed to have the desired effect.In athletics, several states, like Haryana and Madhya Pradesh, are running parallel bodies while, in the Uttar Pradesh Athletics Association in particular, some people are holding posts for close to 30 years!Remember that the national federation was headed by none other than Suresh Kalmadi not too long ago. He is in Tihar on charges of corruption in the CWG, but the spirit in the athletics federation has not yet been broken.The sports ministry has initiated a sports Bill, aiming to bring transparency into administration.Unfortunately, though not unsurprisingly, the move is being opposed tooth and nail by those whose existence is threatened.Some critics are shamelessly citing the Olympic Charter and the so- called “independence” of the federations to keep clinging to their chairs.With Anna presently leading the campaign against corruption, how about launching a simultaneous national campaign against corruption in sport? The time for off-field action is now.qaiser. ali@ mailtoday. in
TweetPinShare0 Shares EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Rex Ryan saw enough to finally reveal the New York Jets’ worst-kept secret. Yes, Geno Smith — and not Michael Vick — will be the team’s starting quarterback this season.“He’s done everything that we’ve asked,” Ryan said after Smith threw a touchdown pass in the Jets’ 35-24 preseason loss to the Giants on the night of Aug. 22.Smith had a solid preseason and took about 80 percent of the snaps with the starters over Vick during training camp, making the announcement a mere formality. But Smith looked every bit like a cool and confident starting quarterback in this one, finishing 9-of-14 for 137 yards, including a 1-yard scoring toss to rookie Jace Amaro.“This is no slight to Mike Vick, believe me,” Ryan said. “I wanted to come out of this knowing we had two really good quarterbacks that we can win games with, and I know, in my heart, that we have two we can win with.”Smith was given every opportunity this summer to show he has progressed from a shaky rookie season that ended with three wins in the last four games. “I think he’s taken off from where he left off,” Ryan said.Smith, who threw 12 touchdown passes and 21 interceptions last year, was happy to get the official nod from Ryan.“It’s a big deal,” he said. “But nothing’s going to change for me. … I think I did some good things, but I’ve got work to do.”Vick, who signed in March and immediately labeled Smith the starter, showed he can still make things happen on offense, too. He also threw for a touchdown with the Jets’ starters, and the defense mostly shut down Eli Manning before the Giants’ backups rallied.Vick replaced Smith to start the second half, and after a rough first series in which he was sacked and then lost a fumble, led an 11-play, 76-yard drive that was capped by a go-ahead 3-yard TD toss to Eric Decker against the Giants’ backups. Vick finished 4-of-5 for 35 yards in his two series against the Giants (4-0).“I think it’s great for Geno,” Vick said. “I knew the entire time that Geno was going to be the starter, but Geno went out and proved that he’s capable of running this team and putting this team in a position to win.”Manning, still adjusting to new coordinator Ben McAdoo’s offense, struggled most of the way but hit Rueben Randle for a 15-yard touchdown with 5 seconds left in the first half. Manning was 12 of 21 for 139 yards, including his first scoring pass of the pre-season.“The last drive of the first half was very welcomed, obviously,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “We could finally move the ball. Eli made some great plays. I thought we ran the ball well early in the game, but didn’t have anything to show for it.”Much of Manning’s production came on the scoring drive, during which he was 7-of-10 for 89 yards. He came in struggling, going a combined 7-of-16 for 49 yards in the Giants’ first three games.“We were able to get into a little rhythm and showed what we could do,” wide receiver Victor Cruz said. “It’s something to build on, no question.”After some mild trash talk during the week spiced up the matchup, the Giants’ victory gave them bragging rights over their stadium co-inhabitants in the MetLife Bowl — aka, the “Snoopy Bowl.”Coughlin received the trophy that features a bronze football-playing Snoopy after the game, as well as $30,000 from MetLife to the team’s charity of choice. The Jets (2-1) also received $20,000 for charity.Rookie running back Andre Williams, who fueled some of the hype for the game by saying the Giants are “the real New York team,” had a 1-yard touchdown run with 6:12 left that put the Giants up 28-24.Giants backup Ryan Nassib threw three touchdown passes in the second half: 3 yards to Henry Hynoski, 39 yards to Preston Parker and 31 yards to Corey Washington. Nassib finished 8-of-12 for 103 yards.Third-stringer Matt Simms threw an 11-yard scoring pass to Greg Salas to give the Jets a short-lived 24-21 lead with 10:50 remaining.Vick started the second half with the starters and was sacked by Damontre Moore on his first play. He then fumbled a handoff on the next play — with Moore recovering for the Giants.“I was just going out there and trying to humiliate the opponent in the worst way possible, when I realized it was Michael Vick,” Moore said. “I didn’t know it was a sack at first, then I realized that I just sacked Michael Vick.”Nassib and the Giants took advantage, scoring five plays later on Hynoski’s touchdown catch on which he reached over the goal line and touched the pylon.(DENNIS WASZAK Jr., AP Sports Writer)