Rep Griffin hosts district office hours

first_img State Rep. Beth Griffin today announced plans to meet with residents of Southwest Michigan during her first scheduled office hours of 2018.“Hosting office hours throughout the district will continue to be one of my top priorities in 2018, “Griffin said. “These face-to-face meetings are a great way for me to be accessible and accountable to people in the community.”The office hours for January will take place at the following times and locations:Monday, Jan. 88:30 to 9:30 a.m. at Java Joint, 23890 City Center Circle in Mattawan;10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at South Haven Memorial Library, 314 Broadway St. in South Haven;1 to 2 p.m. at Hartford City Hall, 19 W. Main St. #1 in Hartford; and3 to 4 p.m. at Cooper Township Hall, 1590 D Ave. in Kalamazoo.No appointment is necessary.  Those unable to attend are invited to contact her Lansing office by phone at 517-373-0839 or by email at BethGriffin@house.mi.gov. 02Jan Rep. Griffin hosts district office hours Categories: Griffin News,Griffin Photos,Newslast_img read more

Chatfield House approve plan forming new oversight panel for Line 5 tunnel

first_img11Dec Chatfield, House approve plan forming new oversight panel for Line 5 tunnel Categories: Chatfield News,News State Rep. Lee Chatfield speaks in support of Senate Bill 1197 today before the Michigan House of Representatives.State Rep. Lee Chatfield said a plan approved today in the Michigan House with bipartisan support will protect the Great Lakes by providing the proper oversight for the new underground infrastructure corridor in the Straits of Mackinac.Chatfield, of Levering, said the plan creates a new, independent authority – not the Mackinac Bridge Authority – to provide oversight and take ownership of the new multi-use utility tunnel in the Straits. The new body will be called the Mackinac Straits Corridor Authority.“This is the best solution we need to protect our beautiful Great Lakes and ensure Northern Michigan families continue to have the resources they need to heat their homes,” Chatfield said.  “This has been discussed for years, and doing nothing is not an option. It’s time to move forward.”Chatfield said Enbridge, not taxpayers, will pay for 100 percent of design, construction, operation and maintenance of the tunnel. Once the company reaches an agreement with the newly created Mackinac Straits Corridor Authority, the authority would own the tunnel and provide proper oversight, including a public, transparent process for ongoing operation of the tunnel.“When you consider that Enbridge has agreed to pay for the underground corridor at full cost, this is a no-brainer for the people of Michigan,” Chatfield said.Chatfield said he pushed to create an entity separate from the Mackinac Bridge Authority to oversee the tunnel after weighing feedback from Northern Michigan residents, as well as members of the bridge authority.“By creating an independent authority to oversee the tunnel project, we ensure the bridge authority can continue doing an outstanding job maintaining one of Michigan’s truest gems, the Mackinac Bridge,” Chatfield said. “That was extremely important to me, as well as the residents of Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula.”The legislation, Senate Bill 1197, is expected to move to the governor for consideration later today.###last_img read more

The scene in Strabane following the bomb atack ear

first_img The scene in Strabane following the bomb atack earlier this weekA 31-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the attempted murder of police officers in Strabane last week.It follows an incident on Tuesday when a device exploded. It was a roadside bomb with a command wire attached.The 31-year-old man was arrested in Strabane on Saturday but details of his arrest have only just been released. ShareTweet Detectives from the PSNI’s Terrorist Investigation Unit have been given additional time to question a 20-year-old man.He was arrested in Newtownstewart in connection with the bombing.Both men are currently being held at the serious crime suite at Musgrave PSNI station in Belfast.The PSNI said it was “incredibly lucky” that no-one was killed in the incident. Parts of the town were cordoned off as a result of the security alert, and there was no access to the town via Liskey Road.Forensic teams spent days examining the scene after a command wire to the device was found.SECOND MAN ARRESTED OVER MURDER BID ON POLICE OFFICERS was last modified: March 26th, 2017 by John2John2 Tags: LISKEY ROADPSNISECOND MAN ARRESTED OVER MURDER BID ON POLICE OFFICERSTERRORIST INVESTIGATION UNITTOWNSEND STREETlast_img read more