Pensioners against electronic payment system – survey

first_imgThe Social Protection Ministry (MoSP) plans to upgrade the present pension payment system to electronic, but might just have to ditch the idea because most pensioners are against the upgrade.This was related to Guyana Times on Friday by a reliable source attached to the MoSP, who also informed that the decision to ditch the upgrade was arrived at after a survey had been conducted.According to the source, the survey was conducted about three months ago by the Telecommunications Ministry, in collaboration with the Guyana Post Office Corporation (GPOC).“Based on the reports from the survey, most of the pensioners did not want the upgrade,” the source informed.This newspaper was further informed that despite the findings from the survey, talks are ongoing for an upgrade to the old age pension system.The Government had first revealed its plan to introduce an electronic payment system for pensioners back in 2016. The intent of the system is to have pensioners uplift their monthly allocations through the local banks.Assistant Chief Probation and Social Services Officer Ricardo Banwarie had explained back then that, in the upgraded system, pensioners would sign on the coupon booklet and access their cash. The pensioners’ information would be entered into the database for the GPOC to keep record of pensioners in the system.“Added to that, we will be having the agents, for persons who are shut-ins, persons who are not capable of going to the Post Office to uplift their pensions. We will be able to have the names of the persons who are going to be authorised to uplift the pension on behalf of the pensioner in our data base,” Banwarie explained.He clarified that this new system was intended not to scrap the coupon booklet system, but to run parallel with it. Banwarie added that if a pensioner has to relocate, he or she must inform the Post Office.Then Social Protection Minister, Volda Lawrence, had told the National Assembly in 2016 that the new electronic payment system would be implemented in 2017.last_img read more

Caroline Garcia retires due to back injury in first round of Brisbane International

first_imgCaroline Garcia was forced to retire from her first round match against Alize Cornet at the Brisbane International on Sunday due to a lower back injury.The fourth seed struggled with a back injury last season as well and was seen leaving the court teary eyed on Sunday.The 24-year-old won the first set 6-3 before Cornet claimed the second set 6-3 to force the all-French encounter go into a decider.Garcia was suffering from some discomfort and decided to take a medical timeout before the final set. Following that, she tried to hit a couple of serves before deciding to retire.WATCH”I’ve always had some issues with my back,” Garcia told reporters.”At the beginning of the match I felt a pain in my lower back and it was different than it is normally. It was getting worse and worse and in the end I couldn’t really move. There was no point to keep going.”However, she remains hopeful of playing the Australian Open next month.”I mean, it’s in two weeks, so it’s a long time…with the back it’s always complicated,” she added. “Especially mine, it’s really something I take care of, so it’s kind of surprising for it to show up like this. But we’ll do the best that we can.”It’s a sad sight for Garcia as she’s forced to retire from her match with Cornet at the start of the 3rd setGet well soon, Caro! #BrisbaneTENnis pic.twitter.com/as94hZHKSE- #BrisbaneTennis (@BrisbaneTennis) December 31, 2017Cornet will met Mirjana Lucic-Baroni in the second round after the Croatian, who travels full-time with her daughter, overcame Germany’s Tatjana Maria 6-4 4-6 6-0.advertisement”I’m very sorry for Caroline. I know what it’s like to have back pain,” Cornet, who went down to Karolina Pliskova in last year’s final, said in a courtside interview.”I hope she recovers for the next tournament in the Australian Open. I cannot say I’m glad to be through this way, but the adventure continues for me.”Last year, I had a super run to the final and I have very good memories. I hope to go as far as possible.”Elsewhere, seventh seed Anastasija Sevastova beat local favourite Sam Stosur 6-1 6-3, while Ana Konjuh tamed Kiki Bertens 6-1 6-2.In the men’s section, Ukraine’s Alexandr Dolgopolov caused a minor upset with a hard fought victory over sixth seed Diego Schwartzman of Argentina 6-4 7-6(3).(With inputs from Reuters)ALSO WATCH:last_img read more

Drewry Many exHanjin Ships to Remain Idle for Some Time

first_imgzoom Some five months after the collapse of Korean shipping group Hanjin Shipping, more than two-thirds of all Hanjin-operated containerships remains inactive, according to shipping consultancy Drewry.Although a number of ships was auctioned for a total of USD 460 million so far, Drewry estimates that there remains up to as much as 150,000 TEU of Hanjin-owned ships still for sale.Hanjin’s demise exposed the frailty of container lines in an era of ultra-low freight rates and caused panic among cargo owners with assets aboard their ships. After the logistical chaos has been cleared up, what has happened to those vessels?An immediate impact could be seen on the containership idle fleet, which surged after 98 ships with an aggregate capacity of around 610,000 TEU were suddenly left without employ. The idle fleet went from 904,000 TEU in mid-August to 1.7 million TEU in mid-November.The declining stature of the idle fleet from December onwards is in large part due to some of those ex-Hanjin ships being re-chartered.Four vessels of 15,000 TEU in total have been scrapped, two of which were owned by Hanjin and none older than 20 years, while another 31 ships of 134,000 TEU have found new service elsewhere.Non-operating charterers have managed to find replacement lessors for 30 ships so far. Maersk Line has shown the biggest appetite for the former Hanjin fleet by chartering 11 vessels of 77,000 TEU, the largest being two 13,000 TEU units that were sold at auction to unnamed buyers in December for around USD 131 million apiece, according to unconfirmed media reports. Maersk is deploying the vessels in the 2M Alliance Asia-Europe network.There remain some 63 ex-Hanjin ships with close to 460,000 TEU worth of nominal capacity that are parked up. At least eight vessels should be back on the water fairly quickly.With such a glut of containerships already available and limited demand growth it is debatable just how big a market they can attract even at knock-down prices. The biggest and youngest ships are likely to have the biggest pull, according to Drewry.last_img read more

Bill Nighy Supports The Robin Hood Tax

first_imgWith the names of politicians and the rich and famous making the headlines since the Panama Papers scandal, tax avoidance is front and centre on the minds of many, including some with the power to do something about it.In mid-June, a collection of countries are scheduled to introduce a financial transaction tax (FTT) called the Robin Hood Tax. This tax collected on financial transactions is to go towards the protection of public services, and to tackle poverty and climate change.Actor Bill Nighy has appeared on the front page of e-activist petition #TheTimeIsNow, where it says that leaders aren’t saying how much the tax will be because of pressure from banks. Those in favour of the tax are welcome to go to The Time Is Now webpage and fill in the rest of the statement, which begins: “The time is now for an FTT because…” The petition’s goal for 5,000 signatures is over half way there. The best reasons proposed will be sent directly to leaders.“History could be made this year with a tiny tax on transactions,” says Nighy. “They have a chance to make a profound and historic change in the way we order a chronically imbalanced world.”Copyright ©2016Look to the Starslast_img read more

Man killed riding scooter in Chula Vista

first_img KUSI Newsroom, CHULA VISTA (KUSI) – A man riding a scooter died after being struck by a car on a Chula Vista street early Saturday morning. The crash happened around 4 a.m. near the intersection of Third Avenue and Quintard Street, Chula Vista Police Lt. Rusty Rea said. The scooter rider was taken to a local hospital, where he died. The driver stayed at the scene and was cooperating with investigators, Rea said. Drugs or alcohol were not believed to be factors in the crash. Authorities didn’t immediately release the victim’s identity. FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom Man killed riding scooter in Chula Vistacenter_img December 22, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News Posted: December 22, 2018last_img read more

Paradise Papers United Spirits books had several loopholes firm now transparent in

first_img Paradise Papers: Everything you need to know about the leak As Paradise Papers seem to have opened a can of worms, naming hundreds of people and firms who have transferred funds to tax havens, many individuals and firms have been forced to release statements clarifying their stand. The trove of 13.4 million files was released by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ), in association with 96 news organisations, and over 700 Indian firms and individuals have been pulled up.The Paradise Papers also raised a few questions on liquor baron Vijay Mallya and the dealings of his company United Spirits Limited India (USL). The brand was sold to the Diageo group in 2013 and the latter is said to have gotten in touch with a law firm to carry out a restructuring process. While this may sound routine, the process was for the purpose of diverting funds from USL to a firm in the British Virgin Islands.However, Diageo has now said that the books of USL had many issues in them and all of these errors have been rectified since it took over. The British firm also said that now all the transactions are transparent and legal and all the details have been disclosed to the authorities, reported the Economic Times. A worker looks at a bottle of Johnnie Walker whisky at the Diageo owned Shieldhall bottling plant in Glasgow, Scotland March 24, 2011.Reuters fileIt was also being said that Diageo may have waived off about Rs 10,000 crore debt that Mallya’s firm owed. The amount is much larger than the Rs 1,225 crore that Diageo had reported to the Bombay Stock Exchange. However, the British firm has clarified that USL has streamlined all the processes and follows lawful business practices.”USL has now strengthened its corporate governance, compliance practices and controls systems,” ET quoted a Diageo spokesperson as saying. “While under the control of former chairman Dr Mallya, USL advanced loans to subsidiaries.”These intra-corporate loan arrangements pre-dated Diageo acquiring its interest in USL in July 2013. After Diageo took control of USL, all outstanding loan amounts have been disclosed and adequately provided for in company accounts, in accordance with applicable accounting principles.”As per Indian Express’ report on the Paradise Papers, Appleby had helped divert $1.5 billion from USL Holdings Limited, an organisation in the British Virgin Islands, which is a tax haven, to three of the subsidiaries in the UK. However, Diageo has denied these claims. “There is absolutely no truth to speculations that Diageo has let go a sizeable number as write-offs without making any attempts to recover it,” a Diageo official explained. Force India co-owner, Vijay Mallya, leaves after an extradition hearing at Westminster Magistrates Court, in central London on June 13, 2017. REUTERS/Hannah McKayThe Paradise Papers have created quite some news with about 180 countries being named. India ranks 19th when it comes to the number of companies and individuals who have stashed money in tax havens. The list centres around two firms, Bermuda’s Appleby and Singapore’s Asiaciti which are said to have helped these firms and individuals evade taxes.While a lot of names have cropped up in these papers, including Queen Elizabeth II and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s chief fundraiser, Indians aren’t far behind. The leaked list features 714 Indian firms and citizens, such as Union Minister of State for Civil Aviation Jayant Sinha, Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjay Dutt’s wife Manyata, Jindal Steel, Apollo Tyres, GMR Group, Hindujas, Videocon, and the Hiranandani Group to name a few. Closelast_img read more

Ishaan Khatter – Janhvi Kapoor dating Boney Kapoor clarifies

first_imgJanhvi Kapoor, Arjun Kapoor, Ishaan Khatter, Shahid KapoorInstagramEver since the promotions of their first film together – Dhadak – Ishaan Khatter and Janhvi Kapoor’s camaraderie has always been a talking point. From talking about each other on chat shows to showering each other with praises at various media interactions, the duo kept grabbing eyeballs.The rumours of whether or not the duo ever dated was a lingering question, until Janhvi’s dad Boney Kapoor stepped in to clear-the-air. Talking about Janhvi’s chemistry with Ishaan, Boney said in an interaction with Spotboye, “Ishaan has, in fact, never visited the Kapoor residence after Dhadak released. There is nothing more than friendship between Janhvi and Ishaan.”Just a few days back, there were reports of dad Boney having given his nod to the relatipnship. A Mumbai Mirror had stated how Ishaan is a frequent visitor to Janhvi’s house and Boney Kapoor is quite fond of him and his talent. Moreover, sister Anshula apparently knows everything about what’s cooking between the two and loves teasing the ‘much-in-love’ couple.On Karan Johar’s Koffee with Karan, Arjun Kapoor and Shahid Kapoor, both had turned quite protective about their siblings. While Arjun had said that Ishaan keeps buzzing around Janhvi, Shahid had said that Ishaan buzzes around a lot of people and Janhvi is not special in anyway. On BFFs with Vogue, Janhvi had said that she would want to set up Ishaan with Tara Sutaria, whom he was once in a relationship with.On career front, Janhvi is busy with the shoot of Kargil Girl, based on the life of fighter pilot, Gunjan Saxena. Samantha Akkineni’s Oh Baby is all set to be remade in Bollywood. And while on one hand there are rumours of Alia Bhatt being roped in for the project, several reports claim that Boney is interested in remaking the film in Hindi with his daughter as the female lead.last_img read more

Now Evernote Wants to Help Organize Your Physical Life Too

first_img 3 min read October 2, 2014 Free Webinar | Sept. 9: The Entrepreneur’s Playbook for Going Global Growing a business sometimes requires thinking outside the box. Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own. You probably know Evernote for its organizational app, but now the company is getting into a new product type: furniture. The company recently partnered with Pfeiffer to create a new line of desk products with the goal of organizing the modern desktop. Many of the new products are making their debut this week at Evernote’s annual conference, EC4.“Our approach to our physical products doesn’t stray far from the original vision that drives our app development,” says Jeff Zwerner, vice president of design at Evernote. “As a company, we are building a workspace that lets you accomplish your life’s work whether you work as an individual or are part of a team in a larger organization.”This year’s furniture additions to the “Evernote Market” follow the launch of several other Evernote-branded physical goods released last year, including a line of Post-It notes and a stylus for the iPad.Related: Notes Scattered Everywhere? Declutter With This Tool.“Working with physical materials allows us to exploit the tactile properties of texture and touch in ways we are unable to in the digital domain,” Zwerner says. “The result to the consumer is improved productivity and enjoyment of the work required to accomplish their goals as they switch modes from physical and digital work modes.”When designing the products, designer Eric Pfieffer says he thought a lot about problems that occur on our desktops and how best to solve them.“We tried to construct these wood products in a way that would bring a lot of function to the desktop,” he says. The products are meant to be not only functional, but also look like something you’ll want to show off.The laptop stand, for example, has an extra compartment to hold your phone, keys or other stray desk items. One of the iPad stands has a space specifically for that Evernote-branded Adonit stylus that launched last year.Related: 13 Business Productivity Apps for the Real-World EntrepreneurSome of the ideas behind the products came from Evernote’s own office expansion. Zwerner says that they noticed everyone had a good deal of miscellaneous clutter on their work surfaces with no real place to put it. Add to that laptop cables, monitors and tablets, and you have a real mess on your hands.“Between our facilities and IT teams, we tried to purchase products to manage the aesthetics and the functional issues this working style creates and couldn’t find any universal solutions,” he says. “We saw an opportunity there and had a point of view on what a solution required in terms of both function and form. Knowing what the explicit solutions needed to solve for, we wanted the design to be elegant and emotive.”You can check out the fruits of that collaboration now in the Evernote Market.Related: The Secrets of the World’s Most Successful Mobile Apps Register Now »last_img read more