The Social Protection Ministry (MoSP) plans to upgrade the present pension payment system to electronic, but might just have to ditch the idea because most pensioners are against the upgrade.This was related to Guyana Times on Friday by a reliable source attached to the MoSP, who also informed that the decision to ditch the upgrade was arrived at after a survey had been conducted.According to the source, the survey was conducted about three months ago by the Telecommunications Ministry, in collaboration with the Guyana Post Office Corporation (GPOC).“Based on the reports from the survey, most of the pensioners did not want the upgrade,” the source informed.This newspaper was further informed that despite the findings from the survey, talks are ongoing for an upgrade to the old age pension system.The Government had first revealed its plan to introduce an electronic payment system for pensioners back in 2016. The intent of the system is to have pensioners uplift their monthly allocations through the local banks.Assistant Chief Probation and Social Services Officer Ricardo Banwarie had explained back then that, in the upgraded system, pensioners would sign on the coupon booklet and access their cash. The pensioners’ information would be entered into the database for the GPOC to keep record of pensioners in the system.“Added to that, we will be having the agents, for persons who are shut-ins, persons who are not capable of going to the Post Office to uplift their pensions. We will be able to have the names of the persons who are going to be authorised to uplift the pension on behalf of the pensioner in our data base,” Banwarie explained.He clarified that this new system was intended not to scrap the coupon booklet system, but to run parallel with it. Banwarie added that if a pensioner has to relocate, he or she must inform the Post Office.Then Social Protection Minister, Volda Lawrence, had told the National Assembly in 2016 that the new electronic payment system would be implemented in 2017.
A drunken thug told a Garda he would bite his nose off his face when he was ejected from a pub.Letterkenny court.Owen Orr, who has 31 previous convictions, appeared before Letterkenny District Court this morning. Inspector Goretti Sheridan told the court that Orr, 20, had been ejected from Cheers Bar on Navenney Street in Ballybofey on February 9th last.He then got into an altercation with three women before Gardai arrived.When Gardai told Orr to leave the area, he told them he would bite the nose off the Garda’s face.He was then arrested by Gardai.Orr, who is originally from St Johnston, but now leaves at 23 Tullyverry Drive, Greysteel, Derry, told the court that he was trying to get his life together.He was attending anger management courses as well as drink and drug counseling.He said he had been laid off from a road construction company but was due to start work again with another similar company.Judge Paul Kelly said because the offences were committed while Orr was on bail, he had no choice but to send him forward to the Circuit Court in July.His partner Stephanie Marley of 4 Dunlade Mews, Greysteel was also charged with obstruction, intoxication and failing to comply with the directions of the Gardai during the same incident.She said “I was stupid and it should not have happened. I did apologise that day and the next day when I seen her.”She was fined €150 for the public order offence and the other offences were taken into consideration.MAN TOLD GARDA HE WOULD BITE HIS NOSE OFF AFTER BEING EJECTED FROM PUB was last modified: March 3rd, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Cheers BardonegaldrunkenGardaJudge Paul KellyOwen Orr