1 //storify.com/talksport/west-ham-fans-love-their-new-signing.js?border=false[View the story “West Ham fans love their new signing!” on Storify] West Ham fans have a new darling,Dimitri Payet has really hit the ground running after his £12m move from Marseille in the summer, and his double on Monday night against Newcastle took his tally to three in the league already.The Frenchman inspired the Hammers to an easy 2-0 win, and a first home victory of the season, taking his personal recent record to three goals and seven assists in his last 13 games.Could he be the signing of the season so far?Hammers supporters certainly appear to think so… Dimitri Payet
David Beckham believes Ryan Giggs will prove to be the perfect Manchester United manager if he succeeds Louis van Gaal.Giggs has been working as Van Gaal’s number two since ending his glittering playing career in 2014.The current United boss has publicly anointed the Welshman as his eventual successor and Beckham has no doubt that his former teammate and close pal will prove to be a huge success if he does go on to take the top job.In an exclusive interview with talkSPORT, the legendary ex-United star said of his fellow Class of ‘92 graduate: “He’s manager material. He’s got that streak that runs through him that you need to be a top manager.“He has learnt from Sir Alex Ferguson over the years, he is learning from Van Gaal now. He is taking his time, doing all the right things, and without a doubt all Man United fans would like to see Giggsy, at some point, be manager of Manchester United.“To have played for the club the amount he has and have that appreciation and understanding of how Manchester United is, he would be perfect at some point to step in.”David Beckham is returning to Old Trafford on November 14 to play in a charity game in aid of UNICEF. The former Manchester United star will captain a Great Britain and Ireland XI, which will be managed by Sir Alex Ferguson. Tickets are now available on the Manchester United website and are priced from £20 for adults and £10 for children.
1 Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal Clive Allen has told talkSPORT Manchester United will have no chance of winning the Premier League this season if they continue with Louis van Gaal’s passing-heavy game plan.The Dutch boss was forced to defend himself last week after United legend Paul Scholes slammed his philosophy and revealed that he, and probably a number of other past Red Devils stars, would not enjoy playing in the current coach’s team.Ex-winger Andrei Kanchelskis has since also had a pop at Van Gaal, saying the former Netherlands boss makes his players play like robots, robbing them of the creativity and improvisation that was famed in the trophy-laden era of Sir Alex Ferguson.Responding to Scholes claims, Van Gaal insisted his side ARE exciting and ALWAYS take risks.But, after watching Man United’s stale and lifeless 0-0 draw with Crystal Palace on Saturday, Allen disagrees.“I was at the Crystal Palace game at the weekend and I must say I was very disappointed with Manchester United,” the former England and Tottenham striker told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“Their style is based on a passing game Van Gaal is preaching to them and it just seemed to me they were making passes for the sake of it.“I can understand the frustration from the supporters, it’s not the Man United we know, but they are in the mix at the top of the table, despite not playing particularly well.“Van Gaal has this history, he has a good track record and you think, can he use that to inspire the United team to win the Premier League?“But from what I saw on Saturday – no. Playing that way I don’t think they’re capable of winning the league this year.”
Former Manchester City manager Stuart Pearce has told talkSPORT the Blues are too inconsistent to challenge for the Premier League crown this season, and believes the title is Arsenal’s to lose.The Gunners are just two points off top spot following Monday’s 2-1 victory over City at the Emirates Stadium, with the win seeing them establish a four-point cushion over their third place rivals.Arsene Wenger’s men have lost just once in 11 games, a run of form any of their title rivals would surely beg for in what has become one of the most unpredictable top-flight campaigns in recent memory.On-fire Leicester City still sit proud at the summit, and are guaranteed to be number one at Christmas after beating Everton 3-2 on Saturday.But it’s Arsenal’s constancy over the past few seasons which has Pearce convinced the Gunners are the ones to beat, and that Wenger is on the cusp of something special with his current crop of players.“What Monday’s result shows, is that Manchester City are too inconsistent to win the league this season, and that Arsenal are the most stable football club in the country at the moment,” the ex-City and England Under-21 boss told the Colin Murray show.“They’ve won the FA Cup for two years running, their stadium is outstanding, their training ground is outstanding, their bank balance is outstanding and they have consistency with the manager.“I think it is Arsenal’s title to lose at this moment, especially with all the other teams around them falling away a touch, with Chelsea being in semi-crisis and the unrest at Manchester United.“I think Wenger, with this group of players, could be on the verge of creating another dynasty at the club.”
Aston Villa, Newcastle, Norwich and Swansea have all made enquiries regarding the availability of Florentin Pogba.The 25-year-old, who is the brother of Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba, has been impressing in Ligue 1 for Saint-Etienne this season.Clubs across Europe have taken notice of the defender and particular interest has emerged from the Premier League.Aston Villa, Newcastle, Norwich and Swansea, according to Foot Mercato, have all contacted Saint-Etienne to see if a deal can be done.But the French side are reluctant to sell now after their captain Loic Perrin sustained a thigh injury.As a result, Saint-Etienne cannot afford to let Pogba go and any deal is likely to take place in the summer instead. 1 Florentin Pogba
THE Los Angeles Police Department’s counterterrorism capabilities have grown exponentially in the past six years. We are constantly training and building our capacity – both in terms of personnel and equipment – all in an attempt to prevent terrorism from taking root in the city of Los Angeles. Despite this, we are often criticized for our decisions by people who are either uninformed or rush to judgment based on inaccurate information. The latest evolution of this is Charles Peña’s Oct. 6 opinion piece, “LAPD chief doesn’t understand the terrorist threat.” Peña contends that the department’s acquisition of devices that detect radiological weapons and materials was essentially unwarranted and that Chief William Bratton does not grasp the “larger terrorist threat.” He is wrong on both counts, and I think it is important to illustrate why. In the last three Urban Area Security Initiative grant cycles, the LAPD has received more than $40 million of federal money for projects and equipment aimed at keeping Angelenos safe from terrorism and other threats. The $275,000 used to equip a helicopter and officers on the ground with devices capable of detecting radiological signatures consistent with “dirty bombs” constitutes only 0.7 percent of the total grant funds allocated to the LAPD. The other important issue to consider is the impact that a dirty-bomb explosion would have on the city of Los Angeles. While the explosion itself would harm a handful of people, the social, economic and psychological impact of such an act would ripple through the larger community. In the last four years, Chief Bratton has expanded the counterterrorism command from fewer than 30 officers to nearly 300. Bratton understands the larger threat and knows that local police can be leveraged in the War on Terror to protect the homeland. The cops are the eyes and ears of the community, the first preventers creating a hostile environment for terrorists. These efforts to enhance our ability to detect dirty bombs are but one of many strategies and initiatives that the counterterrorism command has developed. I hope that the public’s support is with the experts, whose job it is to protect communities, understand the risk, and prepare for the inevitable. Michael P. Downing is deputy chief commanding officer in the Counter-Terrorism/Criminal Intelligence Bureau of the Los Angeles Police Department.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.This equipment is only one element of a broader intelligence-driven strategy. In the case of a potential threat, these tools, coupled with an intelligence-led policing strategy, can quickly determine whether a radiological signature is a legitimate concern – saving time and freeing up other national assets. These are not intended to be the only technological resources in the region to detect radiological signatures. In the event of a legitimate threat, resources from the Fire Department, the Sheriff’s Department, other county entities and the FBI would immediately be brought to bear on the problem. To address Peña’s concern about “countless false alarms,” it is important to note that these are not mindless tools that direct operations. In fact, the antithesis is true. Trained and experienced police professionals employ these tools and they know how to distinguish between kitty litter and Polonium 210. Peña correctly observes that there have only been two cases where dirty bombs have been used. But this does not negate the fact that terrorists have planned and will continue to plan to use these bombs to attack the social, economic and psychological fabric of America. Unfortunately, it would not be very difficult to collect the necessary radiological source materials. Instructions for putting these elements together in a deadly cocktail are only a mouse click away.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m. Despite Wednesday’s progress, none of the major blazes in San Diego County was more than 40 percent contained, and those fires threatened more than 8,500 houses. The top priority was a fire in San Bernardino County that threatened 6,000 homes and continued to rage out of control. Overall, 28,000 homes remained threatened across the region, the state Office of Emergency Services said Wednesday night. As the fire threat diminished during the day, authorities began letting tens of thousands of people go home. “The vast majority of the city is now open for people to return,” San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders told a news conference late Wednesday afternoon. Some who did saw hulking, blackened piles of concrete and twisted metal where their homes once stood. “I’m just sick to my stomach,” said Patty Thompson, 50, as she surveyed the remnants of a home that once offered a view of the valley and the mountains in the distance. The improving weather did allow for a greater aerial assault on the most destructive blazes. Within hours of returning to the sky, helicopters and air tankers dropped more than 30 loads of water on two fires that have burned hundreds of homes and about 12,000 acres in the San Bernardino Mountains, near Lake Arrowhead. “They’re taking it down considerably,” said Dennis Bouslaugh of the U.S. Forest Service. Already, about 1,500 homes have been destroyed since the fires started late Saturday, triggering the largest evacuation in California history. The flames have burned about 717 square miles, across five counties, from Ventura in the north all the way into Mexico. Property damage has reached at least $1 billion in San Diego County alone. President Bush, who signed a major disaster declaration for California, was scheduled to visit the region Thursday. Federal agents joined the search for evidence in the brush-covered hills where an arsonist may have ignited one of the wildfires devastating Southern California. Elsewhere, a man suspected of starting a small fire was arrested and another man was shot to death by police after he fled officers who approached to see if he might be trying to set a fire. The number of victims may increase as authorities return to neighborhoods where homes turned to piles of ash, but displaced homeowners and authorities were relieved that early reports were so low. The San Diego County medical examiner officially listed six deaths connected to the blazes, but he included five who died during the evacuation who were not directly killed by the fire. In 2003, all but a handful of the 22 dead succumbed to flames. Terry Dooley, who was ordered out of his home with his wife and three sons Monday, said authorities learned important lessons from Hurricane Katrina and the 2003 California fires that wiped out 3,640 homes and blackened 750,000 acres over two weeks. Unlike many of the poor neighborhoods flooded by Hurricane Katrina, California’s hardest-hit areas were filled with upscale homes, with easy access to wide streets. “They learned how to get things done more quickly,” Dooley said as he waited at a roadblock to return home to San Diego’s Rancho Bernardo area. In 2003, only 50,000 people were evacuated in San Diego County. This week, more than 500,000 people were ordered to evacuate in San Diego County alone. In addition to the reverse-911 system, authorities also shut down schools, halted mail delivery and urged people to stay home if they were not in danger. On Wednesday, about two dozen people gathered at a police barricade in Rancho Bernardo, which was one of the hardest-hit areas, hoping to retrieve medications and belongings – or simply to see whether their homes were intact. What awaited was an apocalyptic scene: House after house, 29 on one street alone, reduced to piles of blackened concrete with only chimneys left standing, charred hulks of metal that once were cars sitting in driveways. At one point, police officers lifted a barricade only to turn residents away several hundred yards down the road at a second barricade. Some of the homeowners cursed at the officers. “You let us in just to send us back out,” one angry man yelled from his car. Six of San Diego County’s 42 evacuation centers were full, but there was plenty of space at Qualcomm Stadium, home to the NFL’s Chargers. People rested on cots that lined covered walkways circling the bleachers and quietly watched television. There were no bathroom lines. Some displaced homeowners complained that the evacuations went too far. Ron Morris, 68, saw smoke but no flames Sunday night when he was ordered to leave a motor home park in Ramona, northeast of San Diego. He drove his home to Qualcomm Stadium’s parking lot. “It’s good that everyone got out, but they did it too early in my opinion,” he said. Authorities made no apologies. “All but the most unlucky people can see the fire coming,” Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said Wednesday in an interview. “There’s no reason you should have loss of life, certainly for civilians.” The only confirmed death from the flames was Thomas Varshock, 52, of Tecate, a town this side of the U.S.-Mexico border southeast of San Diego, the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office said. Authorities had told him to evacuate, but he didn’t leave and authorities left to take care of other evacuations, the medical examiner’s office said. Firefighters returned to save two people trapped at his home Sunday but were unable to rescue Varshock, said Rick Hutchinson, a deputy incident commander for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. Four firefighters were overcome by flames. One was in critical condition Wednesday; another was in serious condition. Another 25 to 30 homeowners ignored orders Tuesday to leave unincorporated Deerhorn Valley southeast of San Diego, forcing firefighters to return to save them, Hutchinson said. Homeowners who stayed behind knew firefighters were overwhelmed and figured their lives were safe, said Al Guerin, a San Diego County assistant sheriff. “They say, ‘Yeah, OK,’” he said, “and then they call you later and say ‘Help! Help! Help!’”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAN DIEGO — A merciful easing of the winds fueling Southern California’s sprawling wildfires finally offered a chance to fight back against some blazes Wednesday, and weary residents could take solace in an overriding sign of hope: Just one person has died from the flames. That contrasts to 22 dead from a fire of similar magnitude four years ago, and while the final toll has yet to be tallied from this week’s fires, officials were crediting an automated, reverse 911 calling system that prompted the orderly evacuation of more than half a million people. That was 10 times the number evacuated four years ago. “On the call, it was like, ‘This area, go! This area, go!’” said Steve Levstik, who got his call 15 minutes before flames swept through his upscale, densely populated Rancho Bernardo neighborhood. “In 2003 there was less guidance. It was like, ‘Just pay attention to the news and if it looks bad, leave.’” On Wednesday, winds dropped to 21 mph to 36 mph – still strong, but nothing like the gusts of up to 100 mph that raked fire zones earlier in the week. That helped firefighters fully contain the three major blazes in Los Angeles County by nightfall.
Would Alvaro Morata be a good signing for Arsenal? 1 There have been calls for Arsene Wenger to sign a new striker this summer, as Arsenal look to finally win the Premier League title.Fans of the North London club have become sick of Olivier Giroud’s poor finishing, which was one of the main reasons the Gunners could only finish second to Leicester this season.In the search for a new forward, one of the club’s prime targets appears to be Alvaro Morata, the 23-year-old Spanish striker currently owned by Juventus.The former Real Madrid academy talent has not been the most prolific forward since his move to Italy in 2014, netting 15 and 12 goals in the last two seasons respectively, but few doubt he has the talent and potential to be a top class forward.This can be evidenced in the goal he scored on Saturday night against Milan to win the 2016 Coppa Italia. The youngster converted a first-time finish off a perfect Juan Cuadrado cross, scoring what might just be his last goal for Juve.Wenger is said to be a big fan of the forward, and you can watch his winning goal below…
1 Fenerbahce are lining up a move for Chelsea flop Alexandre Pato.The 26-year-old joined the Blues on loan from Corinthians in January but endured a miserable spell at Stamford Bridge.A lack of match fitness restricted him to just two Premier League appearances for the club, and it seems unlikely that they will make his loan move permanent.But his forgettable time in London has not put off Fenerbahce, who are in the market for a new striker this summer.And they reckon the Brazilian can rekindle his best form in Turkey and are currently drawing up a proposal for Corinthians. Pato made just two appearances for Chelsea last season
This Monday morning on Sportsday we look ahead to tonight’s Euro 2016 action as England and Wales both look to reach the last 16.The Three Lions take on Slovakia, while Chris Coleman’s side go up against Russia. There is also reaction to Dustin Johnson’s win at the US Open and Andy Murray’s triumph at Queens Club. All brought to you by Tom Macleod and the team.