Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Sultan and Ancajas face off during the weigh in ahead of their title bout. Photo from TR BOXINGThe first All-Filipino title bout in almost a century is good to go as both champion Jerwin Ancajas and challenger Jonas Sultan both made weight for their IBF World super flyweight championship match on Sunday (Manila time).Ancajas tipped the scales at 114.8 lbs while Sultan was measured at 114.4 lbs with both fighters clearing the 115-lb super flyweight limit.ADVERTISEMENT China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil PetroGazz’ Tiu out for six weeks after ankle injury Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Sultan and Ancajas are the first Filipinos to fight each other in a World title fight since Pancho Villa and Clever Sencio duked it out in 1925 for the flyweight title.Both boxers are in a hot streak with Sultan (14-3, 9 KOs) riding a five-match winning run, and having won 10 of his last 11, while Ancajas is on a more impressive 16-fight victory course and his last five bouts were all World title matches.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownThe fight is at Save Mart Arena in Fresno, California. Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations LATEST STORIES View comments
By: Marissa WilsonRegional Executive Officer Dennis Jaikaran observes students as they play an interactive game within the new libraryWith extensive aid of D Division of the Guyana Police Force (GPF) and the Commissioner of Police, the Parfait Harmonie Primary School was on Thursday able to open its newly constructed library.Students, teachers and parents gathered to witness the opening of the library which had been under construction for the past three months.The library project was successfully completed due to teamwork of the GDF, regional administration and parents who worked overtime to ensure the construction was completed within the stipulated deadline.Making reference to origin of the initiative, Headteacher of the school Shondell Chester said one member of the school’s Parent Teacher Association (PTA) had made contact with Commissioner of Police Seelall Persaud, for the force’s aid in setting up a library.She said that without reluctance, Persaud made the decision to get on board with the rest of supporters to make the establishment of the school library a reality.As the school over the years had been expanding academically with evidence shown by its accreditation from a Grade C to B, Chester said this would further aid the school in accomplishing its goals of acquiring an A school accreditation.Chester cited that it was proven through research that students who are equipped with the skill of reading have a better chance of passing exams and comprehending life situations.With the new library, she said this would improve the reading skills of students as they prepare for internal and external examinations, and it would also benefit parents and residents of the community aiming to improve their literacy skills.“We are looking to deliver quality education for all children so that they can become productive citizens.” Chester added.She said the school is looking to have this library expanded so that it can be a growing factor for literacy not only in the school but the immediate environs.Giving his remarks at the ceremony, Regional Executive Officer (REO) of Region Three Dennis Jaikaran highlighted the importance of reading and its relation in building more productive societies. He said this is just one step that the region has taken to promote learning.Being one of the main supporters of the initiative, Jaikaran lauded the Police Force for its consistent work in such initiatives.He pledged support of the regional administration in an active role in ensuring this nature of projects become constant as the country is gearing towards development.Meanwhile, speaking on behalf of Persaud, Commander of D Division Stephen Mansell said the GPF was delighted to be part of the team responsible for establishing the school’s library.He said this is not the only initiative of this sort the force has embarked on, as over the years they have been working with communities for the purpose of building a better Guyana.Mansell thanked his staff for working tirelessly over the months to complete the facility, as well as the region’s administration and the school’s staff who additionally did valuable work.The library is furnished with desktop computers, printers, tables, chairs, bookshelves, books, a television and other equipment that would make learning more fulfilling and substantial.
A man of Lot 379 South Ruimveldt, Georgetown, appeared before Magistrate Judy Latchman at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on charges of robbery, possession of firearm and ammunition.It was alleged that on September 30, 2016 at Eccles, East Bank Demerara, while being in the company of others and armed with a dangerous weapon, a firearm, he robbed Reita Arakhan of one Apple iPhone valued $100,000, a cheque valued $700,000, and other articles valued $260,000. The items are valued $1,060,000 in total.It was also alleged that on October 11, 2016 he had in his possession a .38 revolver at Ruimveldt, Georgetown, without being the holder of a firearm licence.It was further alleged that on October 11, 2016 he had in his possession eleven .38 ammunition.Prosecution facts revealed that on September 30, 2016, Arakhan went to Demerara Bank on Camp Street to withdraw money and just as she was about to enter her home, two bandits pounced upon her with a firearm, relieving her of her valuables.The prosecution further added that, acting upon the report by Arakhan, the police searched the defendant’s home at Ruimveldt and unearthed the firearm and matching rounds.Semple, 38, who was unrepresented in court, was refused bail after the prosecution objected to bail on the nature of the crime.The defendant is scheduled to make his next court appearance on November 2, 2016 before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan.
The appointment of new local leaders in the various districts of Grand Bassa County has resulted in a power struggle between the newly appointed and the incumbents, who are refusing to relinquish their respective offices/positions. Those replaced included Diaplae Statutory District #1 Superintendent Samuel Karmenjay, who was replaced by Worr Administrative District Commissioner, Samuel Moore; Edward L. Beyan replaces Commissioner Oretha Taya of Hoe Barn Township in District #2; Peter Naleh replaces CommissionerJeremiah Gardee of Gorblee Administrative District #3 ‘A’; and James Kannan, who replaces Commissioner James Taylue of Blezee Administrative District #3 ‘B’.Ozinga Gborhwie replaces Commissioner Mathew Gibson of Dogbarn Glaydor Administrative District #4, while Daniel Dayougar, replaces Commissioner David Gborgar of Vambo Township in District #2 ‘A’; Othello Russell replaces Commissioner Agnes Artis of Lloydsville Township in District #1, but a former District #1 lawmaker, Austin Spiller, replaces former Edina City Mayor Etweda Cooper and former Grand Bassa County superintendent. In separate interviews with this newspaper, the incumbents said that they will not give up their offices to the incoming officials because the office of President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has not informed them of their replacement.“The central government has not informed us via any genuine communication as to whether we have been relieved of our respective posts,” the replaced officials claimed.Therefore, they vowed to remain in their various offices “until the President can officially write us and state the reasons for our dismissal or replacement.”However, when contacted for verification, Grand Bassa County Information Officer Eddie Williams told this newspaper that the replacement of the local leaders was done by President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf through a recent communication.He said Superintendent J. Levi Demman only implemented the President’s pronouncement, which was not his own, as it has been widely speculated.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Aside from the tournament itself Saturday will consist of a long drive contest, a chipping contest, a horse race and a barbecue supper. Sunday will feature breakfast, hole prizes, and prize presentations to flight winners. Registration costs are $95 for members and $125 for non members. Those interested can register at Fort St. John Links or call 250-785-9995.- Advertisement –
Willows added that Herrington will be required to to undertake an initial test to determine if she is presently in violation of using WADA banned substances, in addition to being tested throughout her career. He added that any further violations of WADA rules will be enforced with significant suspensions for Herrington in B.C. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — Fort St. John mixed martial artist Jamie Herrington’s ban on competing in professional MMA has been lifted, at least in B.C.Herrington originally told Energeticcity.ca back on September 6th that her ban from competing in mixed martial arts for four years starting in 2015 had been lifted early. Herrington was originally banned by the International Mixed Martial Arts Federation after an independent tribunal appointed by IMMAF found that Herrington committed an Anti-Doping Rule Violation at the 2015 IMMAF World Championships of Amateur Mixed Martial Arts in Las Vegas. Herrington claimed she failed a drug test because she claimed that Nyquil was found in her system. She said that she had taken the over-the-counter medication to treat a cold.International Mixed Martial Arts Federation Communications Director Isobel Carnwath said in an email statement on September 12th that Herrington’s doping suspension has not been lifted by IMMAF, and that her suspension continues to be upheld.- Advertisement -Herrington clarified that though she remains from competing in amateur MMA, the B.C. Athletics Commission has overturned her suspension from competing in the sport as a professional. In an email to Herrington’s agent Alessandro Gelke, BC Athletic Commissioner Wayne Willows said that he had discussed Herrington’s suspension with officials from the USA Mixed Martial Arts Federation. Willows states that both UMMAF and IMMAF indicated that Herrington’s suspension of four years “was exclusive to amateur competition and the penalty was lengthy as part of the World Anti-Doping Agency’s interest in disallowing Olympic athletes to compete in adjoining Olympic events.”Willows said in the email that after speaking with officials with the Nevada Athletic Commission, the Association of Boxing Commissions, and officials representing Canada’s national interest in combat sports, he found that Herrington had satisfied the intent of the original suspension in that she has been banned from competition for in excess of 2 years and she no longer intends to compete as an amateur.“Ms. Herrington’s application to compete professionally will be accepted by British Columbia,” said Willows.Advertisement
This season’s schedule includes Macbeth, War of the Worlds, That Dam Show, and Unnecessary Farce.Macbeth is specifically looking for 12 to 20 actors, various ages in both male & female. No children but teens are okay.Unnecessary Farce is looking for males & females between the ages of 20 to 50.- Advertisement -That Dam Show is looking for 15 to 20 people of various ages, musical abilities a plus. It is also hoping to secure an Aboriginal storyteller.War of the Worlds is also looking for a variety of actors of different age groups; however specifics can not be confirmed at the time of publication.Performances run October 2015 to May 2015.Advertisement Auditions are being held June 13 and 20, 2015 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Space – located on 11520 East Bypass Road.Those looking to audition should come prepared with a short monologue and/or song.For more information, including on how to become a member, contact Stage North at 250 785 8118
Millwall have sacked manager Ian Holloway 1 Millwall have sacked manager Ian Holloway.The Lions are sceond from bottom of the Championship, eigth points adrift of safety, and have won only seven league games all season.Chairman John Berylson said: “This was a hard decision to take because we very much hoped that Ollie would prove to be the man to take us forward and on to the next level. I would like to thank him for his efforts, and in particular for keeping us in the Championship last May.“This season, though, has proved to be an extremely challenging one and we now find ourselves facing another uphill battle to avoid relegation.“Ian Holloway remains a fine manager and it was his impressive track record which led us to appoint him some 14 months ago. However, our view is that the decision to part company at this stage is in the best interests of the football club going forward.“Neil Harris has agreed to take over managerial duties for the remainder of the season and I am confident that Millwall fans will give him every support over the next couple of months as we strive to turn our current run of form around.”
MORE than €1M worth of drugs seized in Derry this week was taken into the North from Donegal, a court has heard.The herbal cannabis was found concealed in kitchen units inside the van when it was searched by uniformed PSNI officers and by members of the Organised Crime Branch.The discovery was made at Glengalliagh Road, about two miles from the border, on Monday evening. The van had come from Donegal, the court heard. Mark William McPhillips (39), who gave an address at Elmvale in Derry is charged with possessing the herbal cannabis and possessing it with intent to supply.McPhillips is further charged with fraudulently importing the herbal cannabis from the Republic of Ireland into Northern Ireland.The defendant, who had been detained in Strabane police station since his arrest on Monday, made no reply to the charges.He answered “yes” when he was asked by a court clerk if he understood the charges.A detective constable told District Judge Barney McElholm that he was fully aware of the background of the three charges and could connect the defendant to them.He said he had also executed an arrest warrant for the defendant following convictions in his absence for motoring offences at Strabane Magistrate’s Court on March 29.Defence solicitor Seamus Quigley said he was not making an application to have his client released on bail.Mr Quigley said the defendant had “absolutely no discernable source of income nor is he in receipt of any benefits”.He said the defendant’s only property was his motor vehicle.Mr Quigley added that “if the defendant had any income, property or savings he no longer has any of them”.Describing the quantity of drugs as large, the District Judge remanded the defendant in custody to appear in court again for a video link hearing on Thursday, June 7.€1M DRUGS HAUL CAME FROM DONEGAL, COURT HEARS was last modified: May 17th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)