Respecting flag means respecting freedoms

first_imgCategories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionI spent 1968 on combat patrol in Vietnam’s Mekong Delta, where we proudly flew the U.S. flag on our river patrol boat. I think of that flag every morning when I read another opinion in The Gazette about showing respect for our flag. The flag represents our country, not the military, and it sure as hell does not represent the NFL. When our country is not living up to the ideals of its foundation (equality, liberty, and justice for all), it is our civic duty to speak out and make it right.I salute Colin Kaepernick and will take a knee with him any day. He has done his civic duty.Paul RoedigerMiddleburgh More from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?last_img read more

Barratt styles £3.5m sale-and-leaseback

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Jakarta’s COVID-19 rapid tests show positive results for 282 people

first_imgAs many as 282 people in Jakarta have tested positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus after thousands of rapid tests were carried out in the province, a city administration official says.The positive cases were found among a total of 17,534 people whose blood samples were taken for the rapid tests as of Tuesday, said Jakarta’s COVID-19 Task Force’s deputy head, Catur Laswanto.“The Jakarta administration has performed the rapid test across all five cities and the Thousand Islands regency,” Catur told reporters during a press briefing at the City Hall on Tuesday.  He said said the 282 people are to undergo further screening by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests using swabs to confirm the initial results.As of Tuesday, Jakarta — the country’s epicenter for the COVID-19 outbreak — has reported 741 confirmed cases, nearly half of the national tally of 1,528. Of the confirmed cases in Jakarta, 84 patients had died of the contagious disease while only 49 had recovered.The Jakarta administration has declared and extended a state of emergency over COVID-19 — which first emerged in Wuhan city of China in December last year —  until April 19.It closed offices and other business and suspended school, religious and public activities, forcing residents to stay at home. (dfr)Topics :last_img read more

American Pickers returning to Indiana

first_imgSTATEWIDE — History Channel’s American Pickers will be returning to Indiana this June.The show follows Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz as they hunt for America’s most valuable antiques.They are always excited to find sizeable, unique collections and learn the interesting stories behind them.Mike and Frank are on a mission to recycle and rescue forgotten relics.The pickers are looking for leads in the area.If you or someone you know has a large, private collection or accumulation of antiques that they can spend the better part of the day looking through call 855-OLD-RUST or you can email your name, phone number, location and description of the collection with photos to americanpickers@cineflix.com.last_img read more

Townsend: Big season for me

first_imgTottenham winger Andros Townsend intends to hit the ground running when the new Barclays Premier League campaign kicks off. “So for me, our targets or objectives is to finish in the top four, and I want to help the team finish in the top four.” Pochettino has yet to bring in any new signings, with midfielder Jake Livermore being allowed to join Hull for £8million following a successful loan spell. Spurs have been linked with Algeria international Yacine Brahimi and Standard Liege’s Nigeria forward Imoh Ezekiel. “It is a big season for me. Last year was my breakthrough for club and country and now it is important I build on that and show a lot more consistency than I did last year,” Townsend said to Spurs TV. “I am 23 next week, so that will come with age, and hopefully I can build on what I did last season.” Townsend added: “I did not get much holidays, but it was important for me to make sure I was 100 per cent fit coming back to training so I can be fit and impress the manager.” Another player hoping for a fresh start under Pochettino is Emmanuel Adebayor. The Togo forward was brought in from the cold by former boss Tim Sherwood last season, scoring 11 goals. Adebayor aims to continue to impress former Saints manager Pochettino as Spurs look to improve on sixth place. “My summer was great. The most important thing is to come back and train, to work hard,” Adebayor said. “Nothing is personal – I play for Tottenham and we are a team. Press Association Having done so much to help England qualify for the World Cup, Townsend was a frustrated spectator after an ankle injury ruled him out for the end of last season, and he had to watch on as Roy Hodgson’s men laboured through a bitterly disappointing all-too-brief stay in Brazil. The midfielder did some media punditry at the World Cup before returning to London to continue his rehabilitation work, and he is determined to step things up again as new Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino puts the squad through their paces at Enfield this week. last_img read more

Snodgrass facing six-month lay-off

first_img Press Association Hull midfielder Robert Snodgrass has been ruled out for six months with a dislocated kneecap. Tigers manager Steve Bruce revealed the extent of the injury ahead of the club’s Europa League qualifier against Lokeren in Belgium on Thursday, a club spokesman confirmed. And it could get worse for Snodgrass who is due to undergo scans to investigate possible ligament damage. center_img Snodgrass was one of Bruce’s big summer signings, joining from Norwich for £7million. The 26-year-old pulled up with a suspected twisted knee in the first half of his side’s 1-0 Barclays Premier League win at QPR on Saturday. Snodgrass wrote on Twitter: “Gutted ….!!! But I will work as hard as I can to come back fitter and stronger.” last_img read more

Formula One ‘halo’ is a mistake, says Lauda

first_imgLONDON, England (Reuters) – Formula One’s decision to introduce a ‘halo’ cockpit protection device next year is a mistake, according to former champion Niki Lauda.The Austrian, who is non-executive chairman of world champions Mercedes, told Germany’s Auto, Motor und Sport yesterday that he recognised safety had to be improved where possible.However, a convincing solution had yet to be found to protect drivers’ heads from debris.“We tested the Halo, the Red Bull Aeroscreen and Ferrari’s Shield as a cockpit protection. None has convinced 100 percent. You have to make the right decision in such a situation. The halo is the wrong one,” he said.Lauda, a triple world champion who retired from racing in 1985 after a near-fatal fiery crash in 1976, said the halo destroyed the “DNA of a Formula One car”.“The FIA has made Formula One as safe as it gets. Also the danger of flying wheels is largely eliminated, because the wheels are always more firmly attached. The risk to the drivers has become minimal.“We are just trying hard to get new fans for the sport with fast cars and getting closer to the spectators, and now this is destroyed by an overreaction.”The governing FIA announced on Wednesday that the halo would be introduced for 2018 rather than the transparent ‘shield’ tested at Silverstone last week.The halo, which is fixed to the car at three points including a central pillar in front of the driver that supports a protective loop above his head, has been widely criticised on aesthetic grounds.Some have compared its appearance to the toe strap of a flip-flop. Former Dutch F1 racer Giedo van der Garde posted a photograph on Twitter of himself holding a sandal to his head as an example.Commentator and former racer Martin Brundle said it was ‘plain ugly’.“I expect F1 Halo will cause as many problems as it fixes and further hides the gladiators away,” he added on Twitter.Austrian Alex Wurz, chairman of the Grand Prix Drivers’ Association (GPDA), agreed the halo was not good looking but defended the decision.“On the positive, please consider that safer cars mean we can race much faster and harder in the future,” he said.last_img read more

MBB : Last time they played: Syracuse 95, Kansas State 87

first_img Published on March 16, 2012 at 12:00 pm Comments Facebook Twitter Google+center_img Rudy Hackett’s left-handed hook shot sent the game into overtime, and Syracuse used that momentum to defeat the Big Eight conference runner-up in overtime.The Orangemen defeated Kansas State 95-87 to win the NCAA East Regional championship game in Providence, R.I. on March 22, 1975. With the victory, SU advanced to play Kentucky in the national semifinals in San Diego.Hackett scored four points in overtime and finished with a team-high 28 points, 16 rebounds and eight assists. He led the Orangemen back from a lengthy second-half deficit, tarnishing a 35-point effort from KSU’s Chuckie Williams.Williams, who played all 45 minutes of the contest, provided the Wildcats with an apparent 20-foot game-winning shot. The bucket gave KSU a 76-74 lead with just five seconds left.But Syracuse guard Jim Williams took the ball off the inbounds pass and raced upcourt. He found the 6-foot-9 Hackett under the basket, who flipped the ball in as time expired.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textIn overtime, Hackett struck again. He scored the first two points of the period, sparking an 8-2 SU run. Jim Lee’s three-point play with 1:43 remaining gave the Orangemen an 87-80 lead, sealing their 23rd win of the season.Lee, who scored 25 points, caught fire in the opening minutes, helping Syracuse to an early 18-9 lead. Williams pulled the Wildcats back ahead with 15 first-half points. The two teams entered their respective locker rooms at halftime with KSU ahead 38-36.They battled back and forth in the second half. An 8-0 SU run gave the Orangemen a 70-66 lead with just under three minutes left.Williams reeled off six points in a span of 90 seconds to give Kansas State a two-point lead, but Lee tied it with a pair of free throws with 1:05 left in regulation.Williams broke that tie when freshman Mike Evans found him in the left corner in the final seconds. The Wildcats appeared to have won, but Hackett shocked the 9,295 in attendance just moments later, and Syracuse took it from there.-Compiled by Stephen Bailey, asst. copy editor, sebail01@syr.edu  last_img read more

Gallery: Liverpool gets 1st win, 53-28, over Henninger

first_imgLiverpool and Henninger were both seeking their first win of the season on Friday night. It was the Warriors (1-2) that got the win, behind 300 yards of rushing as a team to beat the Black Knights, 53-28. The tailback and fullback duo of Cade Clouthier and Jacob Vacco was too much for the hosts to handle as the pair combined for six touchdowns in the win. Facebook Twitter Google+ Commentscenter_img Published on September 15, 2018 at 12:27 am Contact Max: mefreund@syr.edulast_img

Tipp to miss out on provincial Senior Club Football Championship

first_imgThe backlog of games is due in part to Tipperary’s growing dual status with the footballers performing well this year.Given that the football championship will not be completed in time the Tipperary County Board is instead focusing on getting the hurling championship completed in time for the winners to face either Cratloe or Ballygunner in the Munster club championship on November 9th. Tipperary will not be represented in this years Munster Senior Club football championship.The county club football championship won’t be completed in time for their opening clash of the provincial championship against the Kerry champions in early November.The game is already down as a walkover for the Kingdom on the Munster GAA website.last_img read more