Soros raises $1bn for Europe and Japan

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Nearly 1,700 Indonesian pilgrims stranded in transit countries by ‘umrah’ ban

first_img“The Indonesian government conveys its appreciation to all travel agents, airlines and other relevant parties who have been willing to make speedy responses to address the situation without putting more burdens on the pilgrims,” Fadjroel said.Meanwhile, 2,393 Indonesian pilgrims using 75 travel agencies, who had been scheduled to fly with eight different airlines on Feb. 27, were unable to embark on their pilgrimages, Fadjroel said.Religious Affairs Minister Fachrul Razi has called for airlines and travel agents to facilitate the rescheduling of flights for all pilgrims affected by the ban.Read also: Indonesian envoy lobbies Saudi Arabia to exclude pilgrims from ‘umrah’ banAs a result of the fast-spreading coronavirus, which has affected Saudi nationals in Bahrain and Kuwait, Saudi Arabia suspended umrah and visits to the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah as among several precautionary restrictions.Hundreds of Umrah pilgrims piled up at Juanda International Airport in Sidoarjo, East Java province on February 27, 2020. (AFP/Juni KRISWANTO)The Saudi Haj and Umrah Ministry also temporarily stopped issuing umrah visas and suspended the entry of tourist-visa holders from “countries with confirmed coronavirus outbreaks, according to criteria established by the Saudi health authorities”.Indonesia, the country with the largest Muslim population in the world, contributed the second-highest number of umrah pilgrims last year with 443,879 arrivals, according to the Saudi Haj and Umrah Ministry.Saudi Arabia normally welcomes nearly 7 million umrah pilgrims every year. (afr)Topics : Almost 1,700 Indonesian nationals have been stranded in a number of transit countries by Saudi Arabia’s decision to temporarily ban all foreign umrah (minor haj) pilgrims from entering the country because of concerns over the COVID-19 coronavirus.Presidential spokesman Fadjroel Rachman said on Friday that the stranded pilgrims initially bound for the Islamic kingdom were expected to fly back to Indonesia as soon as they completed arrangements for their return.”There were 1,685 [Indonesian] pilgrims stranded in third countries during transit and they are now in the process of being flown back home by their respective airlines,” Fadjroel said without providing details of the transit countries. Read also: Saudi’s sudden ‘umrah’ ban leaves pilgrims heartbrokenAt least 83 Indonesian pilgrims were stranded at Abu Dhabi International Airport after landing at the United Arab Emirates (UAE) capital from Jakarta at 12:24 a.m. on Thursday, the same day that Saudi Arabia announced the umrah ban.Sanitary workers wearing protective face masks continue to clean the sahn (mosque courtyard) surrounding the Kaaba, Islam’s holiest shrine, as Muslim worshippers pray at the Grand Mosque complex in Saudi Arabia’s holy city of Mecca on February 27, 2020. (AFP/ Haitham EL-TABEI)Indonesian Ambassador to the UAE Nur Ibrahim said the 83 pilgrims were expected to leave for Jakarta on Friday at midnight as they were unable to continue flying to Madinah in Saudi Arabia.last_img read more

Arsenal super-sub Alexandre Lacazette sends message to Mikel Arteta after West Ham win

first_img Comment Advertisement Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 7 Mar 2020 5:46 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link5.4kSharescenter_img Arsenal super-sub Alexandre Lacazette sends message to Mikel Arteta after West Ham win Alexandre Lacazette helped Arsenal defeat West Ham in the Premier League (Picture: Getty)Alexandre Lacazette insists he is determined to give Mikel Arteta more selection headaches after coming off the bench to help Arsenal beat West Ham.The Gunners boosted their outside chances of securing a top-four finish in the Premier League with a 1-0 victory over relegation-battlers West Ham on Saturday.Arteta’s side struggled to create many openings at the Emirates but Lacazette’s late goal – 20 minutes after coming on a second-half substitute – lifted Arsenal up to ninth, five points behind Chelsea in fourth.Speaking after the win, French forward Lacazette, who has now netted nine goals in 26 matches this season, said: ‘I’m happy to score for the team.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘We worked hard. It was a difficult game. I’m happy. They deserved more because of the chances they created. This is football, sometimes you don’t get what you deserve.‘It is my job to give the manager a big headache. I’m struggling to make the first team but I’m happy to score again today.‘I know that now I have to play well again the next game. Everyone wants to give their best and it’s normal that whenever we do that we will perform as a team.’More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityRating Lacazette’s performance, Arsenal boss Arteta said: ‘I have two strikers that are making things very difficult for me which is a good thing.‘I saw straight away he was alert, focused and determined.’On his team’s performance, Arteta added: ‘We had some really good individual performances at the back.‘I’m really happy because big teams find a way and we did that.’MORE: Mikel Arteta offers Henrikh Mkhitaryan an Arsenal lifelineMORE: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang sets contract demands to stay at Arsenallast_img read more

Skagen appoints Norwegian SWF’s investment chief as CEO

first_imgNorwegian asset manager Skagen has named Norges Bank Investment Management’s (NBIM) Øyvind Schanke as its next chief executive.Schanke is CIO for asset strategies at NBIM, where he oversees equity and fixed income portfolios for the NOK7.3trn (€802bn) Government Pension Fund Global.He will take on his new role from 1 February 2017.Skagen’s current chief executive, Leif Ola Rød, will step down on 1 March. He has led the asset manager since 2014.Henrik Lisæth, chair of Skagen’s board, said Schanke was “well respected internationally for his results at NBIM”.He added: “Øyvind has the solid relevant experience to implement Skagen’s long-term strategy. The board is convinced Øyvind is the right person to take leadership of Skagen going forward.”Rød joined Skagen in 2012 as head of business support and compliance before his appointment as chief executive two years later.Earlier this year, he served as acting CIO for a short period following the decision by Ole Søeberg to relinquish the role to concentrate on fund management.Alexandra Morris took over as CIO permanently in September.Schanke has worked at NBIM for 15 years, previously as head of trading and global head of equity trading, before becoming one of several CIOs responsible for the sovereign wealth fund’s giant portfolio in 2014 following a management restructure.last_img read more

MV Cheshire Arrives in Spain’s Motril Port

first_imgBibby Line’s troubled bulk carrier MV Cheshire was cleared to enter the Spanish Port of Motril on September 13, where it could soon start cargo discharging operations.The bulker, which experienced elevated temperatures in its cargo holds on August 12, arrived outside Puerto Motril, South Spain, at 9 am local time. Following an inspection by the port authorities, the ship was allowed to enter the port at 1 pm.Bibby Line said it hopes to begin discharge of the cargo from the 56,597 dwt vessel “in the coming days.”“Any plans for the repair to the vessel will wait until the cargo has been discharged and a more thorough inspection can take place,” the company informed.MV Cheshire, which was loaded with a full cargo of fertiliser, was on passage from Norway to Thailand to discharge when it experienced issues.The vessel was scheduled to stop in Las Palmas in Gran Canaria to take on bunkers, however, it was rerouted due to the lack of suitable facilities. MV Cheshire has been under tow by tug Red Sea Fos since September 3.last_img read more

TE SubCom to Build ICN2 Cable Linking Vanuatu to Solomon Islands

first_imgTE SubCom, a TE Connectivity company, is set for construction of the ICN2 submarine cable project for Interchange Limited, a Vanuatu-based consortium. The cable will connect Port Vila, Vanuatu and Luganville, Vanuatu to Honiara, Solomon Islands.The 1,632km cable will provide initial 200G high-capacity access to several landing sites utilizing SL14-A1 cables and Ciena Submarine Line Terminating Equipment (SLTE).The system is expected to be ready for service in Q4 2019.“This submarine cable link is an important part of connectivity for this area of the world,” said Sanjay Chowbey, president of TE SubCom. “We are pleased to work with Interchange Limited and apply our expertise and regional knowledge to this project.”“Interchange Limited is committed to improved ICT infrastructure to communities we serve throughout the Melanesian region. The ICN2 cable project truly supports our mission,” said Simon Fletcher, CEO of Interchange Limited. “ICN2 is the first CIF submarine cable to the Solomon Islands. With the planned future systems in the region, we feel confident they will be complementary and serve to build a redundant and reliable network. This should provide some confidence to regional investors and data center partners.”last_img read more

Special Olympics Athletes At EKS Games

first_imgThe Annual Special Olympics Eunice Kennedy Shriver’s Indiana State Games were held during the past few Weekends at Brebeuf High School in Indianapolis.Local athletes from the delegations from Ripley Ohio Dearborn, Franklin, and Decatur Counties participated in several sports.Congrats to all of the athletes for winning medals and ribbons.Country 103.9 WRBI is a proud Media Sponsor for Special Olympics.last_img

Batesville Holding 7th Annual Tree Lighting

first_imgBATESVILLE, Ind. — Now that Thanksgiving is over and Black Friday is here, many are starting to think about Christmas.The city of Batesville is asking for everyone to mark Thursday, December 1 on their calendars.The city invites everyone to attend the 7th Annual Batesville Community Tree Lighting.Festivities will begin at 5:00PM in downtown Batesville including A Magical Christmas Exhibit at the Historical Society Museum.There will also be Horse-Drawn Carriage Rides, a Children’s Lantern Parade, and a visit from the big man himself, Santa!The official tree lighting celebration will begin at 6:00 PM in the Bike Park Area, on the corner of Main and George Streets.last_img read more

Eintracht Frankfurt drag West Ham to FIFA

first_img Loading… read also:ASEAN, FIFA and football stars launch #BeActive campaign For the 2019/20 season, the 26-year-old Haller has played 34 matches in all competitions with West Ham, scoring 7 goals. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Eintracht Frankfurt has approached FIFA to push West Ham about late payment for the fee of Sebastien Haller. BILD reports the Hammers are two months late with a due payment and Eintracht have taken the case to FIFA. The next tranche of €6m from the full €40m, for which West Ham acquired the Frenchman in the summer of 2019, was to go into the Eagles’ accounts by the end of May.Advertisementlast_img read more

This Bud’s for UW students, MLB fans

first_imgBRYAN FAUST/Herald photoBud Selig may be a lot of things, but when I heard him speak Tuesday night, the commissioner of Major League Baseball came off as a passionate baseball fan who loves his job.The grumpy, standoffish disciplinarian, who will be forever linked to one of the most embarrassing periods in professional sports, was candid, humorous and approachable Tuesday when he spoke at the Hillel Theater.Selig, a Jewish University of Wisconsin alumnus, spoke and fielded questions about hot-button topics like the steroid scandal and his new drug testing policy.Going into the event, I assumed Selig would talk about his experiences as a UW student (which he touched upon), how he became commissioner and avoid issues like steroids and the infamous all-star game tie in 2002. But instead of avoiding or dancing around those issues, Selig took them on with a full head of steam. “I’ll beat you to the punch,” Selig said when first mentioning steroids, knowing the questions would be coming during the question and answer portion of the program.”I have no sensibility left, ask me anything you want,” he said.Unfortunately, yours truly was not called upon to ask any of the tough questions I prepared, and Selig declined to be interviewed personally — but many important issues were raised by other students in attendance.I have never been a fan of Bug Selig and I will never forgive him for his ineptness in handling the steroid scandal — even though he maintains he never knew of any drug problems until 1998 when Andro was discovered in Mark McGwire’s locker … um, yeah, sure.The way he handled the All-Star game in 2002 was atrocious. But Tuesday night I realized that, like many baseball fans, I have been harping on those issues for years while disregarding the triumphs Selig has achieved as commissioner.Selig has been working in baseball for more than 40 years, with 14 as acting commissioner, and according to him his job is to “give hope and faith to fans that their team can win.”For years, Selig has been taking heat for the lack of a salary cap in baseball, while other professional leagues, such as the NFL and the NBA, have enjoyed great success after implementing some form of cap.What many baseball fans have overlooked is that the MLB Players Association has made it clear that no form of a salary cap will ever be acceptable. Selig took the issue a step further by implementing revenue sharing to help narrow the economic divide in baseball. Selig has generated $321 million in revenue sharing, and its benefits are being seen every year as small-market teams like the Tigers, Athletics and Twins will all be in the postseason come October.Although the system needs a little tweaking to ensure teams are spending their shared money correctly and not fielding a team with a $15 million payroll like the Florida Marlins, Selig is on the right track to closing the gap between big and small-market teams.In 1994 (although it did not come into effect until 1995 because of the players’ strike), Selig added a team from each league to the playoffs. The wild card race always proves to be one of the most riveting chases in professional sports, and with recent wild card representatives, the Diamondbacks, Angels, Marlins and Red Sox, winning four of the last five World Series, it’s hard to imagine what baseball would be like without it.While many baseball purists will forever be against interleague play, we can all thank Selig for giving us the chance to watch in-state rivalries be fought on the field, as opposed to having them settled in schoolyards around the country.Interleague play was finally added to the schedule in 1996, and according to Selig, he had been fighting for it since the ’70s. Interleague play has also given way to new rivalries that fans would never have expected to emerge.Selig added another feather in his cap when he established the World Baseball Classic. Yes, this year’s format was a little shaky, and improvements will undoubtedly be necessary in the future, but the WBC was quite successful in its first go-around and the event should grow in popularity in years to come. Cynics will always be opposed to what they call a “made-up event,” but when I saw the Dominican team take the field or Roger Clemens take the mound in March, the intensity was similar to a playoff game. Maybe the United States will actually win it someday, but that’s neither here nor there.Selig’s innovative All-Star game format, in which the winner is awarded home-field advantage in the World Series, has given new life to a dying exhibition game. Before 2003, I found the MLB All-Star game as excruciating as the Pro Bowl.This year’s game was dramatic and eventful as the American League completed a two-out rally in the ninth inning off all-time saves leader Trevor Hoffman. The game finally has some pizzazz, and the new format forces managers to actually manage the game, as opposed to acting like tee-ball coaches struggling to make sure everyone gets equal playing time.Selig’s accomplishments over the last 14 years will always be overshadowed by the steroid scandal. He will forever be remembered as the commish that could not or would not recognize a problem bigger than Barry Bonds’ head. But recently, Selig has done all he can to gain the fans’ trust by installing the toughest drug-testing policy in professional sports — even though it took him long enough to get it done. The big boppers have remained clean recently (aside from Rafael “I have never used steroids” Palmeiro), and slowly but surely, the integrity of the game is being restored.And while this is not an excuse, it’s becoming clear that steroids are part of every professional sport. Scandals involving the NFL and the Carolina Panthers are minor stories compared to the steroid saga that plagues Major League Baseball, and it would be naíve to think that the NHL and NBA are completely clean.Baseball is deemed “America’s pastime,” and it will forever be held to a higher standard. Before you lynch Selig, remember that the Players Association refused any form of testing until 2002.Many of you traditionalists out there might hate the WBC, interleague play or the new All-Star format, but apparently you are in the minority, because attendance is up and baseball is more profitable than ever. At season’s end, baseball will have broken its attendance record for the third consecutive year as over 73 million fans have gone to the ballpark this season.Selig’s tenure has been controversial, to say the least, and I don’t buy into everything he said Tuesday, like when he referred to today’s game as “the golden age of baseball,” because I think my dad, and yours, might take exception with that. But one thing he said rang very true.”Baseball is the greatest game there is,” and Bud Selig has something to do with that.Andrew is a junior majoring in journalism. To share your thoughts on Bud Selig, e-mail him at akluger@badgerherald.comlast_img read more